TF... SF... SIP... ICF... WTF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Looking for some pointers on construction techniques that would best suit an industrial conversion. All I have to do is build the inner walls, floors but I'm not sure what's best. I have more time than money and I'm looking for a well insulated (for both heat and sound as it will be a semi) end result. I realise that there's way more to consider than what is here but if you've anidea of the sorts of questions I should be asking let me know?

Rooms are arranged so the longest span of any floor joist is 4.2m.. The outer shell including roof exists so this will be built inside of and it will be a 3 storey house. I liked the look of ICF but don't know how workable it is if there are already walls and roof impeding access.. This place will likely be occupied all day, and is rural so there's no mains gas, no scope for a chimney for a wood burner and ill need an economic way to heat it so I'm thinking a high thermal storage in the walls and floors but would a well insulated tf be just as good?

I think timber frame would be quite quick cheap but maybe not as warm as icf or as sound proof. Should I prefab the tf if I go for it or construct it direct on site? Are there any other construction techniques I should be weighing up? Should I go for a mix of options. .icf for the party wall., timber elsewhere?
All opinions grarefulky received.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back