Thames water and manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an extension and Thameswater told us we cannot build over it. So I thought we would move it outside the extension but not, Thameswater has suggested we remove completely the manhole and do a y junction towards the outside of the extension. Ever heard of rmeoving a manhole completely?

Sponsored Links
So are they saying you they want to move the connection outside of your new extension and have a new manhole there instead? If so what's the problem? Or are you saying they want you to divert around your extension?

Not sure I follow tbh.

So are they saying you they want to move the connection outside of your new extension and have a new manhole there instead? If so what's the problem? Or are you saying they want you to divert around your extension?

Not sure I follow tbh.

Basically i am in the process of building an extension but there is a manhole just in the middle of it. So i applied to thames water to move it outside.
They agreed but they said i could remove it completely and i di not have to do another one outside the property and in case of problems they could always use the neighbours manhole.
there is a storm drain running along, is it true that we cannot build foundations withing half a metre of it? Thames water did not mention anything but my surveyor said taht he read somewhere what we must leave a 50 cm gap.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to be 500mm away from drains to build. You just take precautions with the design to prevent loading on to the drain

You can move your m/h no problem, as long as there are rodding access points to the junction as necessary

You don't need to be 500mm away from drains to build. You just take precautions with the design to prevent loading on to the drain

You can move your m/h no problem, as long as there are rodding access points to the junction as necessary

Thames water said we can remove the manhole completely and we do not need to move it somewhere else and in case of problems they said they can use the neighbours manhole.

The storm drain runs in parallel exactly (3 metres ) where the foundation will be, so he said he needs to leave a 50 cm gap between the drain and the foundation, which means my extension will be 2.50 metres instead of 3 metres.
Isn't it possible for the drain to be moved forward?

Who said it should be 500mm away from a drain - first you said your surveyor, now it seems its the water authority surveyor? :confused:

If its the water authority, then you can either accept it or ask why and argue your case

Bear in mind it wont be 500mm away to the wall , but to the foundation edge.

Anyway, I've never heard of this. The only time you would need to move the wall is if the drain is in the foundation trench, and then you just move one or the other over a bit so they miss

Who said it should be 500mm away from a drain - first you said your surveyor, now it seems its the water authority surveyor? :confused:

If its the water authority, then you can either accept it or ask why and argue your case

Bear in mind it wont be 500mm away to the wall , but to the foundation edge.

Anyway, I've never heard of this. The only time you would need to move the wall is if the drain is in the foundation trench, and then you just move one or the other over a bit so they miss

the surveyor said 50 cm.
Thames water did not mention the storm drain at all, but because it just at 3 metres where the foundation will be i do not want my extension to be smaller, so can i move the storm drain, if not how much will i loose do you think?
worried housewive

You move your foundation trench to the side of the drain, or with the permission of the water authority (if they are responsible for the drain) then you can divert the drain if it is feasible to do

Thames Water have a specification for how far the foundations have to be away from the sewer, which increases in distance the deeper the sewer. I think up to 1m deep it's 600mm away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back