the art of lead bossing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good evening all.i would love to know if anybody has got any hints and tips on how to work and boss lead :confused: will be doing it shortly at college and would like to get some practice in if possible :) also where can you get scrap pieces from cause it seems so bl***y expensive :cry: :cry: thanks if any body replies

Sponsored Links
I used to do quite a bit of leadwork during my early roofing years, fixing aprons and gutter backs and of course flashings and lead valleys. Unfortunately I didn't do much architectural stuff like welding or scalloping.It will help you to know the limitations of the lead i.e Code 3 or Code 4 etc and then you will know how pliable it is and how much 'stick' it will put up with. The best advice is probably to take your time and dress it gradually because one little split and it's all wasted. What you will find with old lead is that it will always end up at the nearest scrapyard after the Roofers have weighed it in so it will be possible to buy it cheaper from the scrapman or you may find a decent one who will let you practice in his yard on some old lead.

I usedf to have a booklet about lead work that Igot from the Interbuild show many years ago. I think it was 'Cookson's lead guide' but I can't find reference to Cookson's. Is my memory right DAZ?

Daz also do you know if you can buy lead ready scalloped as I had to do a little bit myself a while back and it took me ages to get it to look right.

Cheer
Gareth

Sponsored Links
Recently scoured suppliers for scalloped/shaped lead but advised that you can only buy standard rolls which you must cut yourself

thanks for the info folks :) i think a trip to the scrapper is in order ;) never know if you dont ask! ;) gonna need some tools though.i think a ballpein will be a bit brutal :LOL: think its a case of practice makes perfect(well that goes for anything dunnit),but nevertheless i'll give it a go.once again cheers.

Alot of merchants ... plumbers and builders will sell by the mtr so you wont need to buy a full roll, the book in question was Calders guide to good leadwork one and two, available for a small fee from calders the lead manufacturers, like dazb my experience is limited to the easy and simple stuff so cant enlighten you any further with any nuggets of wisdom .

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said but have a look at these little beauties to give yourself an idea of how complex the trade can be.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1461&item=6117500648&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1461&item=6117501216&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1461&item=6117501770&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

These are items that have previously sold on E-Bay so it may be worth keeping an eye out for some more or even asking the previous seller if he has anymore to sell.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks lads,will have a look at those links.also will get one of those calders guides.somebody told me about it today,they said its a good reference.cheers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back