The Bed & Breakfast Boiler Conundrum - Newbie please Hel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a property currently consisting of five holiday flats (with the view of turning it into a bed & breakfast) and i'm looking to upgrade the existing boiler/heating system.

The current set up (which consists of two heating zones) is as follows:

One old non-condensing boiler (boiler 1) in the ground floor owners accommodation. This currently supplies the heating and hot water to the owners accommodation and heats the cylinder on the floor above to provide hot water to each of the five holiday flats. There is another old non-condensing boler (boiler 2) in one of the holiday flats that supplies the heating to the other holiday flats. (Ideally this has to go, or at least be moved so that it is not in one of the holiday flats)

Each holiday flat consists of an electric shower (ideally to be replaced with mains powered showers and up to two baths) and each has a small kitchen that will remain. I believe pipe work throughout is 15mm; not sure where the two motorised valves are hidden though. Also not sure whether mains pressure is above 3 bar and therefore querying whether the unvented cylinder choice would even be a viable option.

We have now seen three plumbers and all have made different opinions/recommendations and I am now more confused than ever.

To summarise the options we've been given.......

1) Upgrade Boiler 1 and increase the size of the cylinder so this services hot water and heating for the whole property. (Therefore doing away with Boiler 2). Really unsure whether we would need a commercial bolier or not; hopefully not given the added cost.

2) Upgrade/change Boiler 1 to a combi boiler (to sevice only the owners accommodation) and then also move/replace Boiler 2 and buy a large cylinder so that they supply the heating and hot water to all of the holiday flats

Any advice, recommendations woud be warmly received.

Thanks in advance,
Emma

Sponsored Links
Two gas fairly smallish system boilers working in a cascade hence a backup should one fail. Both heating a acv unvented cylinder (fantastic reheat times). An accumulator tank to provide a storage of mains pressure cold water if you don't have a very good supply of mains cold coming into the apartments.
I would be inclined to keep the electric showers forget about the power showers I don't think it would be renting point. People just want somewhere to stay.

How many room is a holiday flat?

Just a idea...

How about standalone radiator ( a radiator with own electric boiler and pump ) power by electric? Only use it if the flat is let.

Hot water can be provided by unvented cylinder if there is good flow, and heated by one gas boiler.

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back