Re - IS there any boiler to suit my needs??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have studied boilers for a while now and have been in correspondence with the tech. adviser at a well known manufacturer for a week - but am still none the wiser. The previous owner of the flat had electric heating and I am beginning to think no gas boiler can be used in this property for heating only. However I have already installed gas and mains water to the flat - to supply gas central heating.
I require ONLY heating - as in radiators - as the hot water is supplied from the block's communal boilers which I have to pay for whether I use it or not. (I have also installed an electric shower)
1. The space where the boiler can only be fitted - i.e. a solid wall - is very restricted. But there is enough space for a small (in size) boiler and it is an exterior wall. This is not the problem.
2. The problem seems to be there is no room for a cylinder or expansion tank - as I am in a flat and these cannot go in roof ( or anywhere else). I am being told one of these will be required. Is that correct? Also I am being told I will need a pump in addition to boiler and expansion tank! But no where to put pump either!
Any info as to any suitable boiler that can contain all requirements within itself for heating only - much appreciated indeed!!

Sponsored Links
just use a combi, you don`t need a gravity fed system lmao.
The rads can run off the combi, no need to pipe in the dhw.

You just need a simple "system" boiler. These have inbuilt pump and expansion vessel in one tidy little package.

Worcester Bosch do 3 different types depending on your output requirements. The 30CDi is the best of them but may be too large for your needs.

Vaillant do quite a few models, search for ecoTEC plus system.

Potterton do 8 models, search for Performa system HE and also Promax system HE

Ideal do some but i would steer well clear of these, but search icos system

There are plenty more available check out your preferred manufacturer and then search for system boilers.

Just a thought but you could also consider an electric boiler as these have the benefits of a small footprint and can be banked to increase output if needed. No need for flues and more or less maintenance free.

Heatrae Sadia and Trianco do some pretty good models.

Sponsored Links
You dont seem to have got far with your "studies".

All you need is a system boiler as these contain a pump and expansion vessel. The only other item you would need is a filling loop from the water supply.

I really dont know why you are spending so much time on this and writing to people who have got better things to do.

All you need is a competent CORGI installer who can advise you on whats necessary.

Its not only the inside location which has to be considered but the OUTSIDE has to be a suitable location to discharge the flue from.

Tony

to pay for whether I use it or not. (I have also installed an electric shower)
1. The space where the boiler can only be fitted - i.e. a solid wall - is very restricted. But there is enough space for a small (in size) boiler and it is an exterior wall.

If you're really completely stuck for space, it might be worth looking at a heat only boiler, with external pump and sealed system kit. If you're only needing one heating circuit there will be no need for motorised valves etc.

A couple of suggestions - Worcester greenstar ri, Glow worm ultracom hxi / Vaillant 400 series etc.

I should add that I am a householder and not a professional.

One of the smallest in physical size is, dare I say it, is the Broag Avanta Plus.

Your research seems utterly floored. Which manufacturer has given you such useless info :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the many replies. I was e-mailing Glow-Worm about my inquiry - having obtained the WHICH report on boilers by agreeing to take out a subscription. What their tech. adviser said complies with what I have read on- line about System boilers -
.."a System boiler heats up water and stores it ready for later, normally in a cylinder.." and
'..System boilers store hot water in a hot water tank.." and
"the main disavantage of a System boiler is that you need space for a hot water tank.." etc. ( these come up on Google search for "System boiler")
THEREFORE - it would seem System boilers require a tank or cylinder to store hot water.
Combination boilers require supplying hot water to taps and heating for rads. This I do not want.
I thought if I asked a specific inquiry to a Manufacturer's techical adviser explaining the situation - there might be something he could recommend.
It isn't that the kitchen is small - it's a fair size - the point is that presumable the tank or cylinder has to be above the boiler - which in a flat is not possible ( no upstairs)
I cannot use the exterior as someone suggested because I am on second floor of mansion block of flats - and outside "anything" is not allowed.
There is no problem with the flue on the exterior ( as someone queried).

Likewise with a system boiler, you only need a hot water cylinder if you want it to provide your hot water. If you only want heating then a system boiler without a cylinder will be fine. A combi boiler is basically a system boiler with added hot water capability.

Think everyone you have asked to date and you have read about is confusing you by terminology.

What you need is a heat only boiler, whether that turns out to be a system type or open vent is up to you and your installation needs.

In your case you need a system boiler.

Other than heat only you get a combi boiler ;)

system boiler is all you require all the bits inside a single box with a flue coming out of it and 2 pipes c/h flow and return a gas supply and i condense pipe to a nearby drain .

if flueing is a problem then look at the Aztec Electric boiler with an expansion vessel and pump

What you need is a heat only boiler, whether that turns out to be a system type or open vent is up to you and your installation needs.

In your case you need a system boiler.

The OP does not need a heat only boiler. This is where i think he is getting confused!

There are 3 types of boiler:

Combi (provides heating and hot water with all pumps and expansion vessels internally)

Heat only (this is the most basic of boilers and external expansion and pump is required)

System (Has pump and expansion facilities built in)

The OP DOES need a system boiler and his Which technical guy has just cost him a fortune in subscription fees for bad advice.

To the OP, call out a decent heating engineer who will be able to supply you with what you need and suits your requirements......... oh and did you give any thought to the electric boiler soilution?

Many thanks again everyone!
Just 2 clarifications -
1) The "technical adviser" was at Glow-worm ( not Which Magazine). I contacted Glow-worm after reading the Which survey on gas boilers - they rated Glow-Worm 2nd best as I recall.
2) The property already has Dimplex electric heaters. I had never used these before buying this flat and had the impression electric heaters were not "state of the art" and expensive. I don't see point of installing electric boiler if I already have electric radiators(?) They are however quite old but the ones that do work are good. I have models which Dimplex do not make anymore and have not been able to find out exactly how they work - as no instructions. They are fairly complicated - not a matter of just switching them on and off. The ones that do not work may actually be on some setting that needs changing!
Anyway, don't want to bore you anymore - I have printed out all the replies and will look into all suggestions. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back