The beetles ate my kitchen floor, what to put back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep we knew the house had wood worm when we bought it just before christmas but not that much. Top tip, if you see some worm holes in floor boards assume the worst. The best way to check the the floor boards for worm damage is to stab the boards at the tongued and grooved joint with a screw driver, hard. The creatures seem to like that bit. With no holes visible on the floor board surface my screw driver sunk in and all I got was dust.
So I'm about to rip up the kitchen floor, (still hoping the joists are OK).
I intend putting chip board back after treatment but wondered if its possible to insulate the boards in some way. It seems a shame not to add some insulation while the floor is up. Any ideas would be great, Thanks

Sponsored Links
I presume you have a floor void under your joists. If you have 6" joists then i'd get some kingspan (or celotext...it a bit cheaper) and cut to fit between the joists. 100mm thick should be OK. Fit it tight and fill any gaps with expanding foam.

not chipboard. It's awful. Use 18mm WBP ply.

Treat the timbers with Cuprinol Green or other wood preserver. Examine the joists as some may need replacing.

clean away any rubbish under the floor and verify that you have a good airflow through the airbricks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, but why not chip board, floor grade is supposed to be OK for damp kitchens?
thanks
Keith

chipboard is awful. It is used because it is cheap, and will usually last until the builder has been paid.

It tends to crack and squeak, because it is so weak. You will probably have to take it up and renew it when it cracks or breaks in high-use areas, such as in front of the sink or under the washing machine.

do a search here on "chipboard floors" and see what you find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back