Squeaky new floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I laid a new tongue and groove floor a few months back. A couple boards are a bit squeaky, right in the middle of the room..

The boards were secret nailed and the floor has been filled and varnished.

What's the best way to get rid of the 2 squeaks, and minimizing the impact on the finished floor?

I thought of drilling a couple small holes and injecting white glue, then filling the holes with a mixture of sawdust and glue. Once dry I'd put a couple drops of varnish with a fine artist's brush. I thought this less obvious than using screws.

I've used a fine artist's brush to fill chips in varnish before, and it seems to do the trick.

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
squeaking can be anything any two surfaces rubbing board against board nail agains board wood against joist board against pipe
i do hope it wasn't on chipboard i hope
did you leave a gap and what nails did you use

Your best bet now would be to counterbore the floorboard with a 12mm drill bit,then screw down the floor and use a 12mm pellet making bit to fill the hole and also try to line both wood grains together.

Your best bet now would be to counterbore the floorboard with a 12mm drill bit,then screw down the floor and use a 12mm pellet making bit to fill the hole and also try to line both wood grains together.
whilst your thoughts and help is exellent the exact cause off the problem will be important as to the action required to solve the problem

Sponsored Links
What's the best way to get rid of the 2 squeaks, and minimizing the impact on the finished floor?
Get yourself a 9 and 7 year old pair of sprogs and you will soon be forgetting about the odd squeak....nuclear war....airplane landing on your lawn...! :p

whilst your thoughts and help is exellent the exact cause off the problem will be important as to the action required to solve the problem

Obviously their is movement in the floorboards and screwing them down solves the squeaking problem.

Do you want me to go round to his house and with all my 25yrs experience in carpentry and joinery to find the exact cause of why the floorboards are squeaking ?

Maybe we should take up his flooring and check the joists ?

Do you want me to go round to his house and with all my 25yrs experience in carpentry and joinery to find the exact cause of why the floorboards are squeaking ?

Maybe we should take up his flooring and check the joists ?

you are off course correct but if they have used undersized brads or nailed to chipboard the problem will continue indefinitely until done properly so worth finding out and sorting the whole floor if necessary :D

Hi

Thanks for the replies so far.

I took up the old floor, re-enforced the joists and added extra ones in between to make the floor extra solid.

A subfloor of plywood was laid over the joist and screwed down. The tongue and groove boards were then secret nailed on to the ply.

The floor is rock solid, and only one or two boards in the floor squeak. I didn't lay the boards myself, but did sand them and seem to remember a lip in a couple areas which needed extra sanding, it could be one or two were laid upside down.

This may account for the squeaking.

Cheers

G

thanks for getting back to us with a full summary of what you have done :D
because you have reduced the problem specifically to 2 boards i would fully go with donotdelete suggestion and hope the securing method is sufficiant[what size brads did you use :D ;)

Hi

I think 40 mm nails were used. I hired a floor nailer for the bloke who laid the floor for me, but he couldn't get the brads to go all the way in. I had a go as well, and couldn't either, so I ended up taking it back to HSS.

Cheers

G

sounds like its where the tongue has shrunk and now does not sit snugly in the groove and hence the back part of the board where it isnt nailed is giving way. You may find it goes away in 6 months time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back