Squeaky T&G Flooring (Access Hatch Mess)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have inherited some lovely squeaky floors in our new (to us) house. Seemingly to install either the spotlights and/or speaker cable the installers just went upstairs and hacked access hatches in the floor. Essentially they cut the tongue out of a number of sections to get access to the ceilings below. This has resulted in lovely squeaky floors in all rooms upstairs.

When we got a new carpet recently in our bedroom I tried adding a tonne of screws and glue around the perimeter (into the joists) of said hatches. Made things slightly better but squeaking returned to pretty much the same level within a week.

Has anyone any suggestions of how to tackle the squeaking? I'll pull up the carpet in one of the rooms and get some pictures to add to this post. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Found a pic from a few months back.

Attachments

• 20200704_125740.jpg
    20200704_125740.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
I'll definitely check it out and try on one of the 'hatches.' Should I run the same glue along the joists as well to give a better seal/grip to the hatch piece?
i wouldnt , you’ll never get them up

Last edited by a moderator:
Get some wood into the gap between the joists, 3x2 or bigger half under the old floor and tight between the joists, that will give you something to screw into 7614F7CE-37D4-4746-B1B1-9F8908E150B1.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back