The evils of flexible filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here - another girlie DIYer!

My worst ever DIY disaster was prompted by a professional.

When we stripped the wallpaper in my sons old room it uncovered a wall which appeared to have been attacked by drill wielding maniac! There were literally hundreds of holes, some with rawl plugs, some without; all in the weirdest of places. In addition to this when we took out the fitted wardrobe there were 2 massive ragged holes in the brieze block some two inches deep, it looked as if part of the blocks had just crumbled away.

Anyway - I wanted a clean painted surface, so we set about preparing the holes for filling. Around this time my step dad visited, an experienced painter and decorator by trade - so I was keen for tips.

"Fill them proud!" he said "Then rub them down"

So I did.... and some for luck :oops: . Sadly, being a bit of a newbie I knew not the dangers of flexible filler. So when I went to rub down the first of the hundreds of white lumps scattered about the wall - it just wouldn't and neither would the next and the next.

After tears and tantrums, all I could do (and it took an entire week) was to chisel each and every single one out and fill them - with a suitable filler this time!

Sponsored Links
I always used to use that ready-mixed filler. It goes very hard and is almost impossible to sand. Now I use the original-style powder, much easier to use.

I do use flexible filler for things such as where there is a small gap between a doorframe architrave and wall.

I have just been doing loads of work in a house I bought. The previous tenant had filled all those old holes with flexible filler - you just cannot rub it down properly and the only way is to remove it and fill with proper filler. I did find that an easier way of removing was to insert a screw and pull with pliers against a block of wood.
Flexi filler is ideal for those cracks up the corner where the two walls meet, or along the skirtign boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back