The Foo Fighters

notb665 said:
nickso said:
notb665 said:
OK. Show me another band who use: unusual chords, unusual time signatures and unusual phrase lengths and who are generally innovative. (Further explanation available if required).

why? do the FF do any of that? it matters not to me if they do or dont. their end product is dull. they have only had a few reasonable songs in the last few albums.

queens of the stoneage are an example of what you wanted. josh homme is one of the few people doing anything interesting with a guitar these days. everyone else seems to be going through the motions.

BTW before this decends into another hate fest, im not attacking you or your musical taste. lets not forget that music is entirely personal.

Yes, the Foo Fighters do plenty of that. I agree that their last few albums are slightly off - I bought the first two which are excellent then went off them a bit. Josh Homme is a good example of an innovative guitarist, I agree. Everyone else? The only other really innovative guitarists of modern times are Graham Coxon and Johnny Greenwood.

I know you are not attacking me or my musical tastes, I never said I did like the Foo Fighters, but being a guitar teacher, I can appreciate what they do and don't do, and they do do more interesting stuff than a lot of other bands - find me another song in which the first chord is played like it is in "The Pretender", or a song which has 3 bars of 7/4 then a bar of 8/4 time in it, or an Eb chord played like an open C, or a phrase which is 3 bars long, not 4 like every other song ever. Not saying it works for me, like...

sorry i cant reply much just now as im in crete.

respect for being guitar teacher. you know far more than i will ever know about music. i can only play very basic bass and guitar.

FF may well be inventive with their musical ability but i still personally think it sounds dull as an end product. i would agree with the above that colour and the shape is their best effort. they have had a few flashes of brilliance since but nowhere near enough to make me buy anything.

Sponsored Links
Q.O.T.S.A. Now there's a band that I find overrated. In fact all the semi-negative comments that have been applied to the Foos, I would apply to Q.O.T.S.A. Josh Homme, a good guitarist yes, but they as a band are a shadow of his former outfit, the mighty Kyuss. I find it shocking that loads of Qotsa fans haven't even heard of Kyuss. Check Sky Valley, a better album than anything the Queens or indeed the Foos have ever produced.

Deluks said:
Q.O.T.S.A. Now there's a band that I find overrated. In fact all the semi-negative comments that have been applied to the Foos, I would apply to Q.O.T.S.A. Josh Homme, a good guitarist yes, but they as a band are a shadow of his former outfit, the mighty Kyuss. I find it shocking that loads of Qotsa fans haven't even heard of Kyuss. Check Sky Valley, a better album than anything the Queens or indeed the Foos have ever produced.

each to their own i guess. i think he is a genius both in guitar and music.

ive got all of kyuss stuff and the desert sessions, eagles of death metal and a lot of the stuff he does with chris goss( fififf teeners,masters of reality etc)

different bands all of them and i dont think its fair to judge QOTSA against kyuss as they are so different.

Sponsored Links
Back