The Gasman Cometh (Earth bonding the gas pipe)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(This is the second time I've posted this - the first one disappeared in a cloud of "Could not insert new word matches" :( )

I had my gas meter changed a few days ago, and having dug it out of the jun... valuable stuff under the stairs, I found there is no Earth bonding to be seen.

I understand that according to Part P I can install this without involving Building Control.

Now, the only bare metal is on the incoming pipe - past the meter it's all painted. Can I assume the gas meter bonds across its pipes, or do I need to clean the paint off the house-side pipe? (Even I'm not daft enough to put the clamp onto paint!)

If the latter, do I need to clean the whole circumference to the width of the strap, or would cleaning a patch for the clamp-body be enough?

And finally, what's the actual requirement for a gas pipe Earth bond wire - I've seen several sizes quoted, but should it really be 6, 10, 16mm²? I have some nice 84-strand 6mm which is really flexible and lovely to work with, and I'd like to use that if it's big enough (the MET is only about a metre away incidentally, but is through a wall).

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
you should clean a complete ring to put the clamp on the pipe to ensure good contact.

10mm is the normal requirement for bonding on domestic supplies with a TN-S or TN-C-S (pme) earth. 6mm is generally acceptable for a TT unless you live in an area with extremely conductive soil but 10mm is advisable in case a descision is made to change to TN-C-S later. some DNOs reccomend 16mm on PME supplies but there is nothing in the wiring regs that requires this (unless the neutral core in the supply cable is more than 50mm but thats very unlikely on a domestic).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back