Is the way this gas bonding is being done correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my dad's road the gas pipes were replaced, & the of the gas meters in the road where moved from inside the houses to boxes on the outside of the houses.

But now the gas people are running earth wires from the MET in the houses to earth clamps on the outside copper pipes, which go into the houses. They are running the earth cables via lengths of black 20mm conduit.

My questions are:

• 1) I thought that you were ment to bond the gas, after the pipe had come in to the house, & not before the gas pipe had come into the house?

2) If the gas pipe is bonded outside the house, won't the earth clamp start to rust, & so it will not be a good bond?

I will try to post up a picture of how they are doing the bonding

Sponsored Links
Where practicle Gas bonding should be done within 600mm of the meter OUTLET not before the gas pipe enters the meter. Or at the point of entry of the service to the house if the meter is external

when you say the meters are outside the house, do you mean they are in an outbuilding, or are they in a meter box attached to the house?

the clamps do not rust.

JohnD said:
when you say the meters are outside the house, do you mean they are in an outbuilding, or are they in a meter box attached to the house?

the clamps do not rust.

They are outside the house in a meter box, & they are bonding the pipe which comes out from the meter, & goes into the house.

Sponsored Links
outside the house or in a meter box attached to the house?

JohnD said:
outside the house or in a meter box attached to the house?

In a meter box attached to the house

I will try & post up a picture of how they are doing it, on Saturday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back