gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had my gas meter moved from inside the house to outside the house (quite a good way from original position) so a new gas pipe from new meter into house was needed also. Its a semi concealed unit sunk into the ground and there is no copper pipe inside the box for me to earth bond to, so i can either earth bond to the copper pipe outside the box before it enters the house or earth bond to the pipe as soon as it enters the house (under floorboards in hallway) i would prefer the latter as i dont really want earth wire and clamp exposed to the elements and other poteential damage but bonding inside the house would be about 3/4 metre away from the gas meter - is this ok or not.
thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'd bond it outside.

1) For access reasons
2) Clearly visible
3) Within 600mm rule

Regarding damage, that's unlikely. If your worried about weathering, slap some vaseline on the installation once finished and tested.

We have an outside semi UG gas meter, you can still access the house side of the service. Clamp could be bonded inside the UG meter box and still be on the house side, this would provide further element protection.

You should use the right clamp for external connections. EC16 from memory?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back