main earth bonding to gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my main gas pipe from the meter renewed and redirected. It no longer has an earth bond. The new pipework runs along the outside wall until it splits in two place to enter the house.
It would be virtually impossible to run an earth from the point where it enters the house to the CU.
It would be relatively easy to run an earth from the external meter box to the internal CU
Is it legal to connect the earth this way?

Sponsored Links
Virtually? It either is or isn't....

Are you able to run a new length from the main earth terminal and go in the route of the old one, running past the old gas box to the new location?

No. The old run was completely different. We had a kitchen extension built and the gas run is nowhere near the old one. Also all of the floors have been woodblocked and we would have to pass through 3 rooms and a long hall to get to the main terminal. However, the external gas meter is only a couple of meters from the Cu main terminal

So, bond the pipe on the consumer side of the gas meter.

The bond can be external to the meter box, but use a BS951 clamp that is made for external fitting.
Alternatively the bond can be inside the gas box, providing you don't compromise any seals that the box may have.

Sponsored Links
The one which requires it to be bonded at the point of entry to the building, not some distance away.

The one which requires it to be bonded at the point of entry to the building, not some distance away.

I am assuming that the gas meter box has the gas stop cock inside (like most of them).

If that is correct then bonding in or near to the box will be within 600mm of the stop cock.

I recently had my main gas pipe from the meter renewed and redirected. It no longer has an earth bond. The new pipework runs along the outside wall until it splits in two place to enter the house.
I get the distinct impression that in or near the box will not be at the point of entry into the building.

But 544.1.2 does state 'where practicable' the connection shall be made within 600mm. of the meter outlet or at the point of entry if the meter is external.

It depends (as usual) whether you think, or not, that that means you are still allowed to connect it within 600mm. when the meter is external.

I can't see why not.
Does an external run of pipework before entry alter anything?

After all, isn't the best place to bond where the pipe emerges from the ground?

the bonding should be within 600mm of the outlet of the meter or before the first T.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back