Gas mains bonding

L

llewop

Have been asked to bond mains gas pipe by heating engineer. Problem is the gas meter is on the ground floor and the flat he is installing a new heating system in, is on the 4th floor. Do I have to run a 10mm earth down 4 floors to the gas meter or can I bond the gas mains as it enters the house.

Sponsored Links
Read BS 7671:2008, regulations 543.2.2, 543.2.6, 544.1.1 and 544.1.2

Calculate the cross-sectional area of the gas pipe and consider what the bonding is there to achieve.

If you understand the reason for bonding services you should be able to work out your solution. If you don't, then you should question whether you have sufficient technical knowledge to satisfy the regulation 16 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.

[Edit to add: I may be jumping to the conclusion that you are trading as an electrician. If this is not the case, I apologise for questioning your competence.)

Thanks for reply dont have a regs book handy for calculations. the heating engineer is upgrading the gas mains from the meter to the house to 28mm copper. I was going to run a 10mm earth down to the meter but thought i would just check this site for any other ideas.

Thanks for reply dont have a regs book handy for calculations.

You don't need one.

...the heating engineer is upgrading the gas mains from the meter to the house to 28mm copper. I was going to run a 10mm earth down to the meter but thought i would just check this site for any other ideas.

The c.s.a. of a 28mm copper pipe is considerably greater than 10 sq mm.

Sponsored Links
I've come across this situation before and the "preferred arrangement" in our area is to bond at the meter position then bond the service as it enters each property, to its own consumer unit. (The situation is the same for the water.)

Thanks very much for your replies. I have not seen the flat yet and only have the heating engineers description off it. I think I will probably play safe and bond at the meter then bond the pipe from the consumer unit as it enters the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back