Mains water & gas bonding

3 Dec 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just after some advice.

Ok, I know that you should always bond the mains water and gas supplies to a property, but what if you have the gas meters for example are in a basement of a block of flats? Then what i would do is bond the gas meters in the basement but also bond the gas pipes where they enter into the flat. Is this correct?
Or what if the meter was within the flat. Then of course you would bond to the meter point, but would you also bond the gas pipes in the common areas?
Sponsored Links
MEBonding is only concerned with bonding pipework within the installation concerned. You only ever bond to the installation pipe. That's the pipe OUTgoing from the meter.

If the meter is remote, my interpretation is that it is perfectly acceptable to bond where the pipe enters the property.
Great ok thats what I would say, the regs arn't always clear on these sort of things.
Ok just one more question, so say the flat was bonded up correctly but now completing a PIR on the common areas. Should the gas meters be bonded if they were external to the flats, even if the pipework is bonded within the flats?
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
The submain or service to the flat should bond gas as it enters the flat, treating it as a seperate building.

There should also be bonding in the basement from the MET of the installation. The DNO will generally still provide a central MET even if they provide multiple metering (either grouped, or in the flats).

It is known as a BEMT - A Building earth marshalling terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local