Equipotential bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little advice please. I'm upgrading the electrics in my flat and have discovered to my suprise that there is no bonding at all on the gas main and no bonding anywhere else except on the water main where it comes into the building.

I can bond the gas main (run in copper) fairly easily within a meter of the the gas meter but because of it's location the clamp will be outdoors and fully exposed to the weather so I am worried it will corrode quickly. There is just no way of getting round this because the gas main runs externally all the way up the outside wall. Is this going to be ok. All the other flats have this and the bonds look really manky.

I could bond it to the water main easily inside the flat but this doesn't seem to comply with regs

What should I do

Sponsored Links
can the clamp be popped on just inside the box? the other thing you might have to consider with an external clamp in a block of flats is vandalism

tenby clamps with blue stripe are damp rated.

Edit: does the gas enter your flat and go straight into the boiler? If so I'd bond there. depend if you have anything else gas or not.

For a service pipe, the main bonding conductor should be connected as near as possible to the point where the service enters the building. The connection must be before any branched pipework and on the consumers side of any meter. If possible the connection should be made within 600mm of the meter outlet.

Where the meter is outside, the bonding connection should be made at the point of entry of the service into the building. 544.1.2

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that guys.

Unfortunately the clamp can't go into the box because the joint to the meter runs through the edge of the box so I wouldn't be able to get the clamp on the pipe, also the main enters the building 30 feet off the ground and 20 feet away from the meter so bonding it where it enters the building is impossible. I'm thinking I will have to use the damp rated clamp and keep an eye on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back