The hot tap in my kitchen turns off with a loud thud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking for some help with a problem that has just started happening.

All of the hot taps in my house work just fine apart from the one in my kitchen. It's a combined hot/cold tap, and the cold water works by itself, but when I try to get hot water it turns off with a loud thud if I try to get anything more than a trickle out of it.

I have a combi boiler, and hot water is working elsewhere. The pipe that feeds the tap also feeds my dishwasher. I've done some searching online and it seems that my problem is either water hammer, or the divertor for the dishwasher? I will admit to being out of my depth at this point.

Can anyone help me with how to diagnose and resolve this?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like water hammer to me, is this a problem that has some history or just started?
Making sure the pipes are clipped may help or changing the valve at the hot tap.

I've been playing.

If I leave the other hot taps running and then turn on my kitchen tap it makes a loud humming noise rather than turning off.

Sounds like water hammer to me, is this a problem that has some history or just started?
Making sure the pipes are clipped may help or changing the valve at the hot tap.

It's just started a day ago.

I'm out of my depth here - does "clipped" mean fastened securely in place? And what's the valve at the hot tap? Actually part of the tap, or the connectors on the pipe leading to it? Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
It'll be the tap itself. Is it a quarter turn tap or the traditional turn to open/turn to close?

It'll be the tap itself. Is it a quarter turn tap or the traditional turn to open/turn to close?

Sorry, it's a single lever tap:
8000177120176_001c_v001_zp

If you go for a new tap ensure you get one with a dual spout.

These type of taps are usually a problem when the pipework is not supported properly, left untreated it can sometimes lead to bigger problems when the vibration through the pipework often encourages old joints to start leaking.
As suggested a new tap is probably the easiest/cheapest solution.

Have you recently turned your stop tap off ?

If you can isolate the taps, without causing issues elsewhere.
You could take the part to your local merchant and hopefully they have one in stock or can source one for you.

take note of what Armo said it is unlikly to be the tap causing the problem, but the unsecured pipe work.

before you do anything reach under the sink and hold the pipwork lightly. while somebody turns the tap on and off.

any movement, and you have your problem found.

now fix the pipework, job done!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back