loud noise in hot water pipe in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The kitchen is an extension and I walked in today to hear a loud hissing/air sound and I put my ear to the hot water pipe and that is where it is coming from. It sounds like a tap is running but all the taps are off. The sound stops when I turn the hot water tap on, the sound continues when the cold water tap is running.

It sounds like a possible leak, but why would it be the hot water pipe?

I'm hoping I don't have to rip the concrete floor up! Any suggestions to help?

Sponsored Links
I've turned the mains stop tap off and the noise has gone.

This I assume is not good news.

The Kitchen extension is 2.5m and I can see where the pipes go into the kitchen from the cellar stairs and where they come up from the concrete under the sink. The noise is louder under the sink than where the pipes enter the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
I know you don't know the answer, but how and why has this happened? I thought cold water pipes usually burst?

Best to start near to the sink and work along the line of the pipe until I find the leak?

Any recommendations on how to get the concrete up without causing more damage to the pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back