The Ideal Boiler that isn't...

What a marvellous idea Dave-but I can't see that happening!
Tony, the venturi is apparently separate and may not have been replaced with the fan, so I'll get him to look into that.
And Alan, my plumber has been reliable and competent for years- this is the first time there's been any sort of problem. If the Ideal "expert" that took ages to fix a minor fault in the wretched thing when it went wrong under guarantee in the first year was anything to go by, I'd be wasting my time trying them again. And I bought the two big parts because they were VASTLY cheaper online-proper Ideal parts as well, which makes you wonder why they don't sell them direct and save their customers the middle-man's mark up. I don't think I'll buy another fan though- it being new and the only part that definitely works... ;)

Sponsored Links
Boiler all better now :D :D :D Radiators hot all the way down :LOL:
It was indeed the gas valve- pity the helpline told him that, with the readings he was getting, it couldn't possibly be that...!

And I bought the two big parts because they were VASTLY cheaper online-proper Ideal parts as well, which makes you wonder why they don't sell them direct and save their customers the middle-man's mark up.

Whilst the on-line price varies according to the part concerned, I usually find that its about 5-15% cheaper after paying for carriage on parts over £120 than I pay over the counter at the "trade" price. So much for this falacy they we get them cheap!

Has it ever occured to you that your plumber may be adding his own "markup" to the over the counter price that he pays?

The problem I have is that customers expect us to get the part the same day at internet prices which is just not possible.

Dont blame the helpline! They are there to help competent boiler repairers and NOT to find the fault for someone who is not very competent. A totally competent repairer would never need to call them. In any case they are telephone clerks and not boiler engineers.

Anyway I am glad that its working now. Its a pity that your plumber was unable to immediately diagnose the gas valve was at fault!

Tony

Thanks Tony, and I know, but deciding whether somebody's messing something up when you know nothing about it yourself is impossible. You've got to trust people who've been fine for years to some extent. I got a sneaky second opinion from somebody who has been spot on for years with a friend's identical system and he told me I needed a powerflush! If I'd gone for that I would have been an extra £250 plus down and still not fixed...
I suppose that's why websites like this are so useful-you get a wide range of opinions from people with lots of different experiences.
On the subject of prices, my shiny new but pointless pcb was 40% less online, but he wasn't adding his own markup because he got one price when he was on speakerphone and I heard it, and I rang round other places and checked his gas valve prices. When it was really cold I'd have paid the higher price happily!! And I only paid for 2 callouts in the end-probably more due to embarrassment than my pathetic puppy dog eyes... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I always charge parts at retail plus call out. You've got to be able to afford to offer a 12 month warranty on the parts you are fitting.

Do you expect your supermarket to sell their products to you at the price they pay for them :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back