Ideal Isar Water temp fluctuation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Have an 4 year old Ideal Isar gas condensing combi boiler. In the past week the hot water temperature has started to fluctuate between tepid and hot but mostly tepid. Any ideas what might be causing this? Central heating seems fine.

Please do not say that Ideal Isar are rubbish as this won't help me. I do not want to have to replace the boiler, I just want to find out the best and cheapest way to repair it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideals are not rubbish!!
It sounds like a build up of dirt in the plate heat exchanger.
Reasonably easy to change on the 24 and 30 a wee bit harder to get into on the 35.
Turn off fused spur check for positive disconnection of power.
Shut off isolation valves on flow and return and on cold in. Open a hot tap. Open boiler drain
Remove pcb, remove gas valve both really easy (follow book)
Wait for boiler press to go to zero stick a large towel and basin under boiler and loosen the two hex(or Allen screws depending on model) left plate out replace new one in reverse order. :D

Ideals are not rubbish!!

that is debatable shambolic. Most (myself included) will say other than the classic they are absolute shyte.
Mexico and E type :LOL:
Look at the number of postings on here for all appliances there is no more or less Isars or icos on here as any other manufacturer.
We will just beg to differ I used to hate them when I worked for Scottish Gas too until I learned how they actually work and how to work on them too.

Sponsored Links
Ideals are not rubbish!!

that is debatable shambolic. Most (myself included) will say other than the classic they are absolute shyte.
Look at the number of postings on here for all appliances there is no more or less Isars or icos on here as any other manufacturer.
We will just beg to differ I used to hate them when I worked for Scottish Gas too until I learned how they actually work and how to work on them too.

well you certainly know them better than I do. The mexico and e type were ok and the elan wasn't bad but there latest offerings are a bone of contention. We'll agree to disagree methinks. I don't doubt you are a good engineer and you make some very good posts but you'll never get me praising the minimiser, response, isar/icos. Sorry.

Ideals are not rubbish!!

well you certainly know them better than I do. The mexico and e type were ok and the elan wasn't bad but there latest offerings are a bone of contention. We'll agree to disagree methinks. I don't doubt you are a good engineer and you make some very good posts but you'll never get me praising the minimiser, response, isar/icos. Sorry.
:D

I wouldnt praise the response minimiser or early M series Icos and Isar but new one has improved significantly(and we know it had too!!) The new esprit is a cracker. And there is a couple more bits and bobs on the horizon next year!!

:D

the phrase "you can't polish a turd" springs to mind. :D

Turn off the c/h and let pipes cool down. Run hot tap. Does c/h flow pipe out of boiler warm up at all? If so , it is diverter valve sticking, which can affect DHW temperature.

Will try that. Thanks

Also didn't mention that the status display on front panel has a constant horizontal line and the the burner light seems to be constantly on and blinking.

Someone who came to look at it yesterday said that it was probably the heat exchanger was blocked with gunk from radiators. How would the hot water heater be affected by the central heating system in this type of boiler. Excuse me if this seems a simple question.

The heat exchanger 'exchanges' heat between the boiler circuit (through which the central heating water flows) and the domestic hot (tap) water.

Horizontal line means pcb goosed get set price repair from ideal as pcb over 200 notes and set repair is 220 Inc parts and labour

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back