ideal boiler - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I'm hopeful someone out there might have some good ideas about our boiler problem
It is an Ideal Minimiser SE 80 condensing boiler.

Recently it stop working properly. The boiler would start, the light came on for 2-3- seconds then went off again. This cycle repeated itself continuously.

We got an engineer out to look at it. He found that the condensate drain was blocked. He fixed this and then.... same thing. Then he replaced the flame sensing electrode and then.... same thing. Then he replaced the PCB and then.... same thing.

Seems to be in 'best guess mode' while the time and part costs mount up.

Are there any common problems that I can advise him about?

Any ideas are welcomed.

Sponsored Links
I don't suppose you know if your boiler has had the retro upgrade kit fitted? That includes a new gas valve and burner plus other bits and pieces. Your man should be able to tell. I betting he hasn't worked on many of these boilers before.

We got the guy on a friends recommendation. he did not profess to have much knowledge of this particular model.

He certainly hasn't discussed upgrade options with me. Will call him and get back to you.

Righto. he says that he put an upgraded PCB into it and that it has the upgraded 'pressure sensing pipe'??

Sponsored Links
Tony will probably be on here later to advise you that you shouldn't be paying an engineer to guess and fit at your expense.

You are paying him for his knowledge and parts involved in repairing your boiler. Not as a parts swap man.

Ok it sounds like the upgrade has been done and the pcb also. Servicing of the heat exchanger is critical for these boilers, and not all do it properly. These are probably 15+ years old now and I would consider biting the bullet and get it replaced.....but don't use your existing bloke. I hope that you haven't paid up in full for all the guesswork, but I suspect you have. BG will do a fixed price repair for you with a warranty., that might be another option. Without being in front of the boiler it's impossible to say what is wrong with it. Sorry, that's not much help, but it's as far as I can go.

It is starting to feel a bit like that, but he has been trying and I'm a bit afraid to cut and run. It took us quite awhile to actually get someone to come out. Guess it is the busy season... Was hoping that some ideas from this forum might enable me to help him through it.

Appreciate the comments.

There's lots to check, gas valve, inlet pressure, ignition electrodes, the list is endless. Tell your man to do the basic tests if he hasn't done so.
Forum rules prevent more specific info so as not to encourage others who might read this thread to attempt diy gas work.

Thanks for your replies.

Think the only option is to try another engineer or ditch the boiler and get a new one.
Do you think that someone with specific knowledge of this type of boiler would be able to quickly find the problem? If so, can anyone recommend someone in Edinburgh?

ScottishGasMan, who posts on here may be near enough to help or suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back