The importance of split load?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Question for all you pros. How important is it for a standard domestic installation to have a split load consumer unit or not?

I have already got a normal hager consumer unit. It is brand new and I got it free. (with 3 mcb's) The question is whether to keep it or buy another one that has split load capability.

If correct MCB's are used for each circuit type on a normal CU will it still be safe enough. Do regulations recommend installation of split load rather that a normal CU in newer installations?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
sockets on the ground floor should be rcd protected, this is because you can plug some thing in and use it in the garden-hence split load cu, non rcd for lights, cooker etc

some cuircuits should or must be 30ma rcd protected others should not or must not (the must nots tend to come from regs other than the wring regs such as fire alarm regs)

so you have two basic options
1: a switch only CU with rcbos
2: a split load CU

the second option is almost always cheaper though the first is in some ways preferable

I thought split load cost more no? Also why is option 1 more preferable?

Sponsored Links
rcbos are pretty expensive and you generally end up using quite a number of them

the advantage of using rcbos is it keeps the earth fault protection for each cuircuit seperate so less goes off when you trip it

Thanks for the replies guys. So best to go for the split load unit for economy then.

I pressume you the use normal mcbs in a split load for the sockets side?

Also I have been to a few electrical wholesalers and non of them seem to sell Hager units and mcb's etc. I have been recommended this brand so was hoping to buy another Hager unit. Any reason why they dont sell them?

benjiman said:
I pressume you the use normal mcbs in a split load for the sockets side?
Yup.

Also I have been to a few electrical wholesalers and non of them seem to sell Hager units and mcb's etc. I have been recommended this brand so was hoping to buy another Hager unit. Any reason why they dont sell them?
Ask them...

I don't know how big the CU is that you have, nor how much space you have to install it, but instead of getting a split load to replace this one, have you thought of getting a second non-split one and using an RCD incomer, i.e. ending up with two CUs, one RCD, one not, instead of a single split-load one?

Thanks BAS. The old unit is a bit too small though. Had an extension done and got too many new circuits having re-wired the whole house as well.

Anyways been searching the net and have come across an MK Sentry unit which seems ok. Its a split load unit for £60.

http://www.theelectricalshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=23&products_id=758

What do you guys reckon? I heard MK is a good brand as well. I also heard that some brands of consumer units keep tripping on the RCD side. Hope this aint the one!

Does the price seem reasonable for this unit?

Will most likely not use the free hager as I checked prices for RCbos and they are well expensive!

When you say "old unit", do you mean the free-Hager-with-3-MCBs one, or a different one that's already installed?

What is already installed? How many ways? Does it have an RCD?

You say it's too small - the point I was making was rather than junk the free Hager and buy a big split-load board, keep the free Hager and buy a second non-split board.

If the Hager is non-split with an RCD, buy the 2nd one with just a normal incomer, if it's non-split without an RCD, buy the 2nd one with an RCD incomer.

The old one already installed is an 8 way. The hager hasnt been installed yet. (its a plane CU with no rcd side - Just a straight buzzbar with nothing along it)I havent enough space to keep both of them as the hager is a 17 way unit as is quite long. So theres only room for one. I can sell the Hager on ebay hopefully anyways.

benjiman said:
as the hager is a 17 way unit as is quite long.
That's quite big for a non-split. Are you sure it isn't designed to be converted to a split-load one if you want? I'm not familiar with Hager's products, but some manufacturers do make boards which can be converted.

benjiman said:
Any reason why they dont sell them?

Most wholsalers stock their "own" brands and a couple of others, maybe. But they can order other brands in.

ban-all-sheds said:
benjiman said:
as the hager is a 17 way unit as is quite long.
That's quite big for a non-split. Are you sure it isn't designed to be converted to a split-load one if you want? I'm not familiar with Hager's products, but some manufacturers do make boards which can be converted.

Yup its quite long. Thanks for that though. I will go to another electrical wholesaler who hopefully sells hager units and take the unit with me and ask them what they think.

Thanks for all the replies everybody - very much appreciated. ;) :D

Pays to shop around. A new split load with RCD and isolator might be cheaper than a non-split.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back