The loony right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
That’s not why they are wealthier.

They wealthier because they were able to buy a house which has increased in value a huge amount…..an asset gain which had nothing to do with “work and contribution” and everything to do with being born in the right period.

Young people can’t get on the housing ladder because they are trapped in rent.
You've taken one part out of many facets that make up a persons financial wealth. Of course many older people although not all have benefitted from past increases in property value, 'so what?' would be my response. Good luck to them. And of course the level of increase is largely dependent on locality, size of the property etc. Lots of variables.

The fact remains, most older people have worked and contributed to society for many years more than younger people. To that end, they are in my opinion entitled to be wealthier than younger people who are new to the career/working game and should accept they need to bide their time to accrue financial wealth in its various forms.

Although not possible for all, there have been various articles about younger people who have managed to get on the property ladder e.g. by sacrificing treats and holidays for x years to build a deposit. And no, this isn't possible everywhere depending on the average cost of property etc.

When I was young, there were plenty of decent permanent jobs with good prospects, pay, and pension plan, with training and development available from better employers, and evening classes or day release schemes for others wishing to better themselves. Higher education was free and there were even maintenance grants.

In my 20's I was able to buy a (small, run down) house on the pay of a fairly junior young man and a trainee nurse.

None of those factors have applied in UK for years.

Sponsored Links
You've taken one part out of many facets that make up a persons financial wealth. Of course many older people although not all have benefitted from past increases in property value, 'so what?' would be my response. Good luck to them. And of course the level of increase is largely dependent on locality, size of the property etc. Lots of variables.

The fact remains, most older people have worked and contributed to society for many years more than younger people. To that end, they are in my opinion entitled to be wealthier than younger people who are new to the career/working game and should accept they need to bide their time to accrue financial wealth in its various forms.

Although not possible for all, there have been various articles about younger people who have managed to get on the property ladder e.g. by sacrificing treats and holidays for x years to build a deposit. And no, this isn't possible everywhere depending on the average cost of property etc.

For most people, their only large asset is their house.
So it’s pretty much the only facet.

younger people who are new to the career/working game and should accept they need to bide their time to accrue financial wealth in its various forms
That option has been taken away from many of thrm.

If you are trapped in rent, you don’t get the opportunity to accrue wealth, you give money to a landlord and they accrue the wealth.

younger people who have managed to get on the property ladder e.g. by sacrificing treats and holidays for x years to build a deposit
Only if they have a high wage or bank of mum and dad.

There are many people who simply can never afford to buy

“House prices are currently sitting at 8.8 times the average earnings, more than doubling since the 1970s, according to new research from House Buyer Bureau.”

For most people, their only large asset is their house.
So it’s pretty much the only facet.

That option has been taken away from many of thrm.

If you are trapped in rent, you don’t get the opportunity to accrue wealth, you give money to a landlord and they accrue the wealth.

Only if they have a high wage or bank of mum and dad.

There are many people who simply can never afford to buy

“House prices are currently sitting at 8.8 times the average earnings, more than doubling since the 1970s, according to new research from House Buyer Bureau.”
Maybe the UK needs to be less owner occupier focused and transition to a society where renting is the norm?

And I still stand by point, at a basic level and using a broader brush I grant you, older people are more entitled to 'have more' because they've contributed for decades more than younger folk, who seem to have an increasing mantra of expecting to have 'everything now!'

I've seen some policies promoted recently which appear to be pretty "loony", including:

Dissolving Parliament and installing a dictator
Funding couples to have children based on passing a patriotism test
Only teaching history which is favourable to the UK
Imprisoning political opponents
Shooting protestors

When I was young, there were plenty of decent permanent jobs with good prospects, pay, and pension plan, with training and development available from better employers, and evening classes or day release schemes for others wishing to better themselves. Higher education was free and there were even maintenance grants.

In my 20's I was able to buy a (small, run down) house on the pay of a fairly junior young man and a trainee nurse.

None of those factors have applied in UK for years.

Yes, you lived in a country where net immigration was running at about 500 per annum (not approaching a million), where money printing and easy credit was frowned upon, and where the international trading and movement arrangements were less open and globalised. In other words, you were better protected from the world and inflation than is now, and more recently, the case. I refer to house price inflation in particular which has been off the scale since the early 2000s (New Labour's second term in office).

But you don't understand any of these simple matters and so misdiagnose the problem as "Liz Truss" and other simpleton nonsense.

I've seen some policies promoted recently which appear to be pretty "loony", including:

Dissolving Parliament and installing a dictator
Funding couples to have children based on passing a patriotism test
Only teaching history which is favourable to the UK
Imprisoning political opponents
Shooting protestors

Some of those were in jest, but also note that you were asking me a specific question: what I thought might get us out of the problems we face. The problems we face are, in fact, grave and strong responses might save us. I used my imagination, did some thinking, and proposed ideas. What do you propose exactly? Just carrying on down the same path, moving chairs around on the Titanic? You haven't offered anything other than the frankly pathetic hope that a Labour government will somehow make things better. The problem is that you lack vision and understanding of how history works - you will start to understand that I was right if you live long enough.

Last edited:
Which pier you on at this summer?

Gant is welcome to comment on any of the following:

1) Trying to take U.K. out of ECHR
2) ramping up hatred of foreigners
3) removing power of judiciary
4) removing freedom to protest
5) increase in wealth inequality
6) creating tax free zones for the wealthy: freeports and charter cities
7) control of the media
8) dislike of experts
9) use of culture wars
10) policy dictated by vested interests
11) attempts to cut benefits from poor
12) plans to make homelessness illegal
13) right wing libertarian lobby groups infesting govt and media
14) endless cuts to public services

But Gant has no counter argument….so there won’t be any response

Yes, you lived in a country where net immigration was running at about 500 per annum (not approaching a million), where money printing and easy credit was frowned upon, and where the international trading and movement arrangements were less open and globalised. In other words, you were better protected from the world and inflation than is now, and more recently, the case. I refer to house price inflation in particular which has been off the scale since the early 2000s (New Labour's second term in office).

But you don't understand any of these simple matters and so misdiagnose the problem as "Liz Truss" and other simpleton nonsense.
Globalisation has occurred in all Western countries, including high immigration

France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Holland etc etc
But they all have a higher standard of living than we do and far lower inequality.

The Daily Mail has taught you to hate foreigners but they aren’t the problem.

Successive right wing governments are the problem

Gant is welcome to comment on any of the following:

1) Trying to take U.K. out of ECHR
2) ramping up hatred of foreigners
3) removing power of judiciary
4) removing freedom to protest
5) increase in wealth inequality
6) creating tax free zones for the wealthy: freeports and charter cities
7) control of the media
8) dislike of experts
9) use of culture wars
10) policy dictated by vested interests
11) attempts to cut benefits from poor
12) plans to make homelessness illegal
13) right wing libertarian lobby groups infesting govt and media
14) endless cuts to public services

But Gant has no counter argument….so there won’t be any response
All countered by what they've actually done than all the pups they've sold to you and the gullible.

All countered by what they've actually done than all the pups they've sold to you and the gullible.
Gant is unable to provide any counter argument, but responds with an incomprehensible sentence.

Oh dear, back to the drawing board for poor Gnat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links