The miracle of dunkirk, a few little things to ponder on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several years ago I read the diaries of Lord Allenbrook interestingly
after the evacuation of dunkirk in his diaries he talks about the feeling of " A guiding hand " and his impression of what was happening. He was of the absolute conviction that if the BEF had been lost the war was over, the war materiel that was lost could be replaced but not the men, they were the veterans that could regroup and retrain to fight

Here's an interesting quote from churchill :

"Thus, then, on the night of the 10th of May, at the outset of this mighty battle, I acquired the chief power in the State....During these last crowded days of the political crisis my pulse had not quickened at any moment. I took it all as it came. But I cannot conceal from the reader of this truthful account that as I went to bed at about 3 a.m. I was conscious of a profound sense of relief. At last I had the authority to give directions over the whole scene.

I felt as if I were walking with destiny, and that all my past life had been but a preparation for this hour and for this trial.

Ten years in the political wilderness had freed me from ordinary party antagonisms. My warnings over the last six years had been so numerous, so detailed, and were now so terribly vindicated, that no one could gainsay me. I could not be reproached either for making the war or with want of preparation for it. I thought I knew a good deal about it all, and I was sure I should not fail. Therefore, although impatient for the morning, I slept soundly and had no need for cheering dreams. Facts are better than dreams."

Lord Gort a guardsman, we all know in the army you do not disobey orders especially a guardsman Gort rose through the ranks by complying with orders, but at Dunkirk he deliberately disobeyed orders his military commanders (The French) and The British Government. The official History simply says that by his disobedience Lord Gort saved the BEF.
(at this point in time the outcome was a little uncertain ! but he still disobeyed orders).

Remember the images of the soldiers up to their chests wading out to the little ships..........another miracle the channel is hardly ever like a mill pond !
A breeze sprang up threatening the evacuation and another breeze came in and blew it away.

The day after the last soldiers were picked up there was a four foot swell.
The Luftwaffe had air superiority but couldn't maximize the advantage due to mists

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/765004.stm

Just a few interesting facts I've picked up over the years.
Bearing in mind I don't think it can be disputed The Nazis were the epitome of evil.

Sponsored Links
Also - interestingly if another was here this would be copied, pasted and used against you.
It may still be.

Seems the EVIL still exists.

Sponsored Links
Back