churchill quote.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thus, then, on the night of the 10th of May, at the outset of this mighty battle, I acquired the chief power in the State....During these last crowded days of the political crisis my pulse had not quickened at any moment. I took it all as it came. But I cannot conceal from the reader of this truthful account that as I went to bed at about 3 a.m. I was conscious of a profound sense of relief. At last I had the authority to give directions over the whole scene.

I felt as if I were walking with destiny, and that all my past life had been but a preparation for this hour and for this trial.

Ten years in the political wilderness had freed me from ordinary party antagonisms. My warnings over the last six years had been so numerous, so detailed, and were now so terribly vindicated, that no one could gainsay me. I could not be reproached either for making the war or with want of preparation for it. I thought I knew a good deal about it all, and I was sure I should not fail. Therefore, although impatient for the morning, I slept soundly and had no need for cheering dreams. Facts are better than dreams.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Be thankful to Sir Winston Churchill and all those millions who fought to give us a free country.

Be thankful to Sir Winston Churchill and all those millions who fought to give us a free country.
I thank the millions - but Winnie did most of his fighting as a young man for the Empire :rolleyes:

Churchill was behind the Dardenelles disaster thats why he was in the political wilderness for years, the Turks had always been been allies of Britain but when he siezed two dreadnoughts being built for the Turks in the N.east of England to appease the Russians the Turks turned against Britain, in the event he backed a loser by backing the Russians because they collapsed shortly after and were no futher help to the allies.
ps. he also wanted to shoot striking coal miners to break the strike.

A little known Churchill quote - handed down by a long dead distant relative who worked closely to him in his household - " I feel like Sh*t today - the Black Dog has P*ssed on my leg " . Of course it`s heresay only :mrgreen:

Another little known fact about Churchill is that he wanted to extend the war by turning on our allies and attacking the Soviet Union in july 1945 using British , American and reformed German divisions and nuclear weapons.
Thankfully the Americans and our military chiefs were against the idea and following his removal at the general election the idea was dropped.
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/operation_unthinkable.htm

Another little known fact, I read somewhere that Churchills mother was jewish,dunno whether thats true, not that it matters of course but it could explain his antipathy towards Hitler and Germans in General.

Another little known fact about Churchill is that he wanted to extend the war by turning on our allies and attacking the Soviet Union in july 1945 using British , American and reformed German divisions and nuclear weapons.
Thankfully the Americans and our military chiefs were against the idea and following his removal at the general election the idea was dropped.
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/operation_unthinkable.htm[/QUOTE]

I've heard that after the war in Europe Churchill said "we have slaughtered the wrong pig"

Sponsored Links
Back