the missus doesn't like silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i silicone sealed around the bath, but her indoors says that i've made a messy job of it.

i'm willing to give it another go, but what do i use to remove the old silicone - it's as stubborn as the missus!!

thanks

Sponsored Links
ian_72 said:
i silicone sealed around the bath, but her indoors says that i've made a messy job of it.

i'm willing to give it another go, but what do i use to remove the old silicone - it's as stubborn as the missus!!

thanks

If she doesn't like it, you shoudl tell 'er indoors, to get outdoors, and don't come back in.

Seriously though, you can buy proprietary silicone removers, although a bit of scrubbing and scraping usually removes silicone for me. Pop down to your local B£Q... sorry B&Q, and look for a silicone remover in the silicone section.

Use masking tape this time from top & bottom,wet hand on finger to smooth it off then remove masking tape straight away and run your finger over again gently.

Why use silicone? There are other sealers which are better engineering solutions (IMO) Wickes do one which I think is an acrylic one. Takes longer to cure but better to work with. I seem to remember it's water soluble while wet.

Sponsored Links
This looks good :LOL:
9087_m.jpg

Doh, it was on the page with the silicone debonder.

Why would I want the edit button. That's for correcting mistakes :D

If the silicone is quite new, one of the best ways to remove it is to use a brand new stanley knife blade or a very precise and sharp woodwork chisel, and holding the blade flat on the surface gradually slice it away. Sometimes you can get a long enough section to slowly peel away. Watch your fingers!

Any residual can be cleaned using mutton cloth and acetone (if you can get it) try a fibreglass supplier. Is sometimes referred to as brush cleaner.

If you do get hold of some, make sure it doesn't come into contact with plastic! Also LOTS of ventilation. And yes it smells of pear drops!

When you come to seal again, only cut the nozzle of the tube quite small and do not apply to much (the usual mistake), after each section, wet your finger with saliva and gently run your finger across the silicone to create a smooth uniform bead (the saliva prevents the silicone from sticking to your finger). Remember silicone isn't the nicest of stuff so don't keep wetting your finger after touching the silicone.

Practice makes.... less of a mess each time!

Good luck!

silicone eater.....any sealant it touches though will disappear wheather you want it to or not!

mildmanneredjanitor said:
Any residual can be cleaned using mutton cloth and acetone (if you can get it) try a fibreglass supplier. Is sometimes referred to as brush cleaner.

You might find a ready supply of acetone from 'er indoors, as it is commonly known amongst the women folk as nail varnish remover.

On the subject of sealant, I am having the problem that my Wickes own brand stuff seems to be water soluble. Any suggestions? I was thinking of trying another brand but if all silicone does that I need to look for a different material.

genuine silicone is not water soluble. i have found that if you get an "own brand" it costs less and is not as good , so i stick to (no punn intended) genuine silicone sealant, costs about £7.00 a tube but its worth it

I've used the Wickes stuff, had no problems. I didn't think it was silicone, but an acrylic which explains it's water solubility. Once it's cured it appears to be reliable, and does not have the problems of silicone compounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back