the old pine company - old pine slivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Does anyone have any experience or an opinion on buying pine slivers from the old pine company?

I'm looking into options for filling gaps. I'm considering using papermache + woodfiller (yes, I know but it is cheap and easy), draughtex, stopgap and slivers of pine. What has put me off using the slivers of pine so far is managing to make/acquire the slivers of pine, and so I was interested when I found this website.

My first floorboard related project is a small-ish landing.

Many thanks!

http://oldpinecompany.co.uk/acatalog/About_Old_Pine_Slivers.html

http://oldpinecompany.co.uk/acatalog/About_Old_Pine_Slivers.html

Sponsored Links
Cheap yes, but easy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ??

Yup - I've made hats out of paper mache before. Shoving a bit of soggy newspaper between the floorboards should be easy peasy.

Making it look good/not getting it all over the walls as well/keeping it in place for more than a month - well, those things are probably not quite so simple!

Sponsored Links
I have used these for two rooms and they work well. They have now put their prices up though and there are other people selling these cheaper.

I am currently doing a room 7m x 4.5m and it is really hard work. You need to trim every single sliver unless you cut out the tongues from the T&G (which I would not recommend).

On this room I have spent :
1 day replacing floorboards that have woodworm.
1 day cleaning grooves, removing tacks from previous floor covering, punching down nails.
1 day so far putting in slivers.

I have already used 1.5 100m lots of slivers. 1.5L PVA and some resin.

Left to do :
1 day slivers (using ones ordered from another source)

Current state :

1 day (at least) chiseling of excess
1 day punching all days down a further 3 mm as they are flush at present)
1 day edging room and doing first sand.
1/2 day repairing any holes with saw dust mixed with resin. Plugging any larger holes.
1/2 day final sanding
Treating whole floor to stop any woodworm or rot, wait 48 hours and trat again.
Osmo oil the floor
fit skirting
2nd coat of Osmo oil.

[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back