The old 'to TT or not to TT a shed' debate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have read loads of threads here about outbuildings and earthing arrangements, and when to export and when to TT, but I still cant quite get my head around exactly which scenario fits which situation best?

Surely a 'fix-all' would be to export the earth AND a rod at the outbuilding, with bonding to any exposed metal shed structure? Surely this way all earths are at equal potential?

Please can someone give a definitive and in depth answer to this long-debated question, just to settle my curiosity, I just cant sleep at night anylonger

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For TN systems (i.e. most of them):

1. For outbuildings which have no extraneous conductive parts, then install the circuit as normal, using whatever size cable is suitable.

2. If there are extraneous conductive parts, these would need to be bonded to the main installation earth. This usually means a 10mm wire from the main building to the shed/garage or whatever.
An easy method of acheiving this in most normal situations is to use 10mm 3 core SWA.

TT would be used if it is the ONLY possible option, such as where the main building is TT.
In the majority of installations, it is not the only option, and therefore would not be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back