TT Earthing via a well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A property with TT supply also has a well under the cellar floor. Lead pipe 2 -3 inch diameter from well feeds old hand pump in garden by kitchen window. Goes through floor about 6 foot from well and then enters well about 2 feet below water line.

Would the lead pipe which is exposed in the cellar need to be bonded and could it be used as ( or considered as ) an earth rod ( in parallel with a "normal" earth rod ).

Plans are to convert to PME when major renovations are started before next summer.

Sponsored Links
You could use it as an earth rod as long as you are the owner of the pipe (most likely), and you take precautions against its removal. Subject to neccessary tests of course.

It would need a main equipotential bond in any case.

It may still be prudent to sink a rod in anyway, as this covers you in case the pipe was every taken out of service and the earthing lost after you have left.

My understanding it if it is exposed inside and runs into the ground then it should definately be bonded but you shouldn't rely on it as a source of earthing (that is the conventional rod should be good enough to provide an adequate earh on its own) because it could end up being removed at any time.

Lectrician said:
You could use it as an earth rod as long as you are the owner of the pipe (most likely), and you take precautions against its removal. Subject to neccessary tests of course.

Isn't that only in the 17th??

Sponsored Links
In fact, I may change my mind or judgment....

I just took a scan, and it is the lead sheath of a cable you could use as an electrode, and not a pipe - A water or gas service pipe is not permissible, however, what is the definition of a service pipe as delcared in the regs?

My take on the definition would be a pipe with a primary function of bringing a non electrical service into/out off the property.

So in Bernards case although bonding the pipe will probably help lower the overall Zs values it's primary function is to bring water from the well. It may be have to be modified, cut or removed in connection with it's primary function so Ze should still be measured in the normal way with it disconnected.

However, if the well was taken out of service then the pipe is no longer a "service pipe" so IMO it could be used as an earth electrode but it would need to be very clearly labelled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back