The Pound £ sign why will it not work?

Sponsored Links
Thank you both the £ and & # 1 6 4 ; show as a pound when viewed local but both fail when viewed as a web page on the web!

It is something to do with charset=ISO-8859-1 character encoding my browser was set to UTF-8 but this should have been changed by the metafile with command

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

But it did not change it any ideas?

Have you tried the £ encoding. You may also have to change the pages encoding to UTF-8

Sponsored Links
Eric,
I take it your are viewing your site using Firefox, because I get the same black diamond with the ? inside it when I look at your site.
BUT using IE8, it shows as a square white box instead of the £ sign.

Looking through Google it is to do with the coding on your web site, but I am not clued up on that side of things.

Can your web host company Help Section sort you out with setting up the WYSIWYG?

dave

Edit,

Have a read of this thread:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=621254

It looks like you can sort it by changing the charset.

dave

Think I have found it.
Missing <html lang="en"> on second line.
Seems when saving one has to select save as HTML and the line is auto added.
Anyway works with two PC's now. Thanks for help.
This shows on Front Page what I had got wrong so easy when you know how.

No, that's not the correct way to deal with it and neither is using 164. You should use £ that way every browser will know what you want, no matter which encoding they are using. Setting your lang as en relies on the browser being intelligent and making a guess as to your meaning, it will probably be right in most modern browsers but it's not the right way to deal with the situation nor is it guaranteed to be right, where as using £ is.

No, that's not the correct way to deal with it and neither is using 164. You should use £ that way every browser will know what you want, no matter which encoding they are using. Setting your lang as en relies on the browser being intelligent and making a guess as to your meaning, it will probably be right in most modern browsers but it's not the right way to deal with the situation nor is it guaranteed to be right, where as using £ is.

On checking my web site it seems Front Page when I sent country auto changed all my £ signs to £ which I know has worked.

Sponsored Links
Back