The Regs/Locationof switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Figures 0035 & 0038 show where I plan to fit a FCU to supply a shower pump in the bathroom.

I have decided to seek advice here in case the regulations do not allow it, as it is positioned above the staircase. The landing is to the left.

Thank you.
DSC_0035[1].JPG
DSC_0038[1].JPG

Sponsored Links
Figures 0035 & 0038 show where I plan to fit a FCU to supply a shower pump in the bathroom. I have decided to seek advice here in case the regulations do not allow it, as it is positioned above the staircase. The landing is to the left.
You say "where you plan to fit it", but you seem to have already fitted it!

Anyway, I see no problem with that, regulations-wise, the only real potential problem being that of 'access'. However, I presume that you would need to get at it only once in a blue moon.

Your photo shows only one cable, but I presume that there will eventually be two?

Kind Regards, John

It does seem a silly place to put it.

The usual place would surely be next to the pump.
It will only be needed and used when the pump goes faulty.

you can put it in the bathroom as long as it is at least 600mm horizontally from the footprint of the bath, or at least 2250mm above floor level. In a suitable place where it is not likely to get splashed or sprinkled.

I'd say above the bathroom door is a good place. Easily seen, but not easily touched by accident.

Put a durable label on it, because it will be used so seldom that nobody will remember it.

There is a big advantage in having it where anybody working on the pump can see it (and watch that no idiot turns it on)

Sponsored Links
The pump will have a flex attached.

If you do not put the FCU near the pump, then you will require another connector which is.

The pump will have a flex attached. If you do not put the FCU near the pump, then you will require another connector which is.
I agree with all the comments which are being made about location, but the OP appears to have already installed a box (albeit surface, hence easily removed) and at least one cable at his chosen location - so maybe he would prefer to work around that?

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for all replies.

Subject to the Regs, 600mm, 2250 mm, all points considered, and the finished look, I could not put it in the bathroom.

Yes, only one T&E, because the pump is not yet on site.

The height of the FCU is deceiving in the photo. It is about 300mm lower than the position of a light switch.

The siteing of the pump and its 1.5 metres of flex will be adequate to link with the FCU.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, only one T&E, because the pump is not yet on site.
Fair enough. How are you going to get the cable for the pump to the FCU? As EFLI has said, the pump will probably come with a fairly short length of attached flex, in which case you will probably need to have a join fairly close to it.
The height of the FCU is deceiving in the photo. It is about 300mm lower than the position of a light switch.
Again, fair enough. It certainly looks a lot less 'accessible' than that in the photo!

Kind Regards, John

So to keep the bathrooms nice finished look, where are you putting the pump?
What a ridiculous place for a spur, on a staircase in the line of sight.
Under the bath or cupboard where the pump is going would of been neater.

Okay.

Taking all the advice and good criticism into account, and the 600mm Zone, I have looked again at the issue.

I have decided to place the switch in the cupboard as it will then be beyond the 600mm limit.

The pump itself will be at a point near to both the bath and the hot water cylinder.

Thanks for all the input.

Please see attachment.

Attachments

• Bath.jpeg
    Bath.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 93

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back