The seal around our boiler flue is crumbling away!

Hi again

I've not got around to tackling it yet, but when I do I'm presuming the cement that's there at the moment will be crumbly in some places and not in others. The stuff that is not crumbly..... should I leave that as is and just add the new fire cement to it? Or should I try to remove as much of the old stuff as possible?

Part of the reason I ask is because I've been told there will be a rope beneath the cement and that it could be asbestos. So I have also been warned not to use a vacuum cleaner (as I might spread the spores around).

Iif I expose the rope at all, would you guys be able to tell if it is asbestos or not from a photo? If so, I'll take one and at least I'll know what I'm dealing with it then. I can only imagine cleaning all the mess with a dust pan is going to be a pain because the dust will be fine and no doubt each some awkward places. Not that I won't manage, but if it turns out there is no asbestos at least I can then use the hoover and save a lot of hassle.

Thanks once again for all the help.

Max

Sponsored Links
It all depends on when the boiler was installed.

It would be unlikely to be asbestos if it was installed after 1990.

If before about 1980 then it could well be asbestos.

Whatever, if you dont poke it then even if it was its unlikely to present any significant risk.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back