missing flue seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking for some help regarding a missing seal on a flue.

I bought a house about 18 months ago and recently had a problem with the central heating system leaking water which was found to be the condensation out pipe (or something like that) so we had a guy out from the people who fitted the flue out to have a look who said we need the boiler people out to look but when he left their was a seal left under the boiler. The people who came out to look at the boiler said they can order the parts but the boiler is unsafe to use due to the missing seal and said we are not allowed to use the boiler until it was fixed.

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing if this seal has been missing for 18 Months or since the last guy came out. 1st Guy came out last Wednesday and the boiler guy came out last Saturday and we have been without heating since.

Can anyone let me know how dangerous this missing seal is and if they have a link to any safety regulations etc as from what I have been told its not safe and if this is the case I need to know where I go from here?

As you can tell I don't really know much about this so any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If it's the seal that makes the boiler interior air-tight from the room, then it is dangerous to use, as the boiler will use oxygen from the room, which can cause incomplete combustion, and fill your room with carbon monoxide.

And any other seal is likely to be just as dangerous if missing.

Best get that seal fixed a.s.a.p. by a professional.

found to be the condensation out pipe
Perhaps the condensate drain pipe? Was it leaking or dripping?

Thanks for the response.

Perhaps the condensate drain pipe?
thats the one.

It was just dripping very slowly at the start then when he went in the first time it was filling a small pot within 2-3 days ish.

How anyone can make a diagnosis on this without more info is beyond belief.Such a situation requires make and model and perhaps a picture.Drips from condense is normal.What seals are missing?Maybe its the prv letting by? OP get more info onto site.

Sponsored Links
The people who came out to look at the boiler said they can order the parts but the boiler is unsafe to use due to the missing seal and said we are not allowed to use the boiler until it was fixed.
So we can presume they put a warning sticker on the boiler and disconnected the gas?
The seal needs fitting to make it safe.....or you might never wake up from your deep slumber.....

If you took your car to the garage and the mechanic said it would be very dangerous to drive it home until we have fixed it, would you drive it home?

Mind you having said that i am confused as to why there was 1 guy to fit the flue and another to fit the boiler?

We have been told nothing about the make and model of boiler! We dont know if its gas or oil.

Its not clear how old this boiler is and its all very confusing about all these different people who seem to be involved with installing and maintaining the boiler.

We need more information to enable us to come to any conclusions.

Tony

How anyone can make a diagnosis on this without more info is beyond belief.Such a situation requires make and model and perhaps a picture.Drips from condense is normal.What seals are missing?Maybe its the prv letting by? OP get more info onto site.

Are but we do know that

"1st Guy came out last Wednesday and the boiler guy came out last Saturday."

It's a bit lioke one of the wifes's stories, she hasn't actually got anything to say biut yoyu have to wait while she fills in all these details and look really interested or her face will change from someone just trying to stop you watching the Grand Prix to someone wanting to stab your eyes out with a kitchen knife.

The boiler was fitted around winter 2008.

Its a gas boiler.

Morris homes fitted the flue and as far as I know heat team fitted the boiler (why? I have no idea)

The 3rd image below is the missing part if anything else is missing I have no idea.

I know the boiler is a potterton suprima I believe its HS on the end.

I hope this answers your questions if you require any more please let me know.

View media item 27034 View media item 27035 View media item 27036 View media item 27037

Its difficult for me to guess what that seal is for.

However, another possible problem is that the flue needs to either slope back towards the boiler or to have an internal tube which is set with a slope back ( as most do ). Thats to enable condensate to run back into the boiler.

If it has an internal slope then the outside should be horizontal although one or two makers still say it shouls slope back.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back