co on roomsealed boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there
just a curious question. seems like a alot of chaps here know their stuff. i left the navy and got my first gas service job last month. downloadedn the hse co incidents report. read that an average of one person a year dies from co from wall mounted room sealed boilers since the mid 1990's/
. how can co leak back in these. i can only imagine new boiler installation fault on flue ( run through void, broken up!!) or beside window, positive pressure boilers cases not put back correct after check, combustion caps not being put back.profiles neatheat casing being warpped. water leaking causing corrosion on casing or missing rubber seals were electric wires enter chamber.
i find it difficult to see how co can enter room from r/s unless its fromt he above. any other additions.?i know causes of co but how it can enter room from r/s boiler from your experience would be appreicated as i can keep an eye out!!! many thanks

worst i seen is profile. top case hinge missing. woman getting headaches. previous guys havent seen it. 12 years experience!!
turbomax 3 times black rubber combustion cap on seal missing
new boiler installed by council and flue turret not secured!!!!

Sponsored Links
Rotted/damaged flue or casing on positive pressure case, or maybe even huge hole with negative pressure case. Certain ideals seem to have an inherent design flaw that causes condensate to leak on the casing and create a hole big enough to stick your boot through.

Even then it would have to be combined with longstanding neglect on the mainatenance side to actually create enough CO.

i reckon those figures might improve now that most trisave turbos are now in skips :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i reckon those figures might improve now that most trisave turbos are now in skips :LOL: :LOL:

Far from it.....CO incidents will increase due to fully premix burners drifting out of adjustment or being incorrectly adjusted by the incompetent, extended twin flues comes apart, appalling design by manufacturers etc.

To the OP think about the way positice pressure boilers work. The fan presurises the casing ie air is forced up through the burner and combustion products out the flue. If the case sealing is poor air leaks out, the internal pressure is lower, insufficient air enters the burner and poor combustion results. The combustion products (now high in CO) can leak out from the casing.

Always use mirrors to verify the integrity of the casing at the rear especially when pipe connections have leaked in the past and use a smoke pen on all seals. Where you can carry out FGA, it's common to find the fans running a little slow on Netaheats etc resulting in insufficient airflow and higher than expected CO despite the draught activating the air pressure switch. Use copper ease grease on casing screws...they will often pinch up a little tighter. Remember the seal is not 100% and was never designed to be so, a little leakage at the corners/gromits is normal.

Join the combustion chamber.

I am surprised there has only been one death a year, it is a miracle more people haven't died.

So many poorly designed case fixings and boilers out there. Anyone who doesn't have a co detector and or their boiler safety checked each year is a gambler. If boiler is in their children's bedroom it's as much child abuse as smoking is.

I am surprised there has only been one death a year, it is a miracle more people haven't died.

So many poorly designed case fixings and boilers out there. Anyone who doesn't have a co detector and or their boiler safety checked each year is a gambler. If boiler is in their children's bedroom it's as much child abuse as smoking is.
as the vast majority of boilers are negative pressure leaks tend to be inwardsso the manufacturers have to some extent "got away with it",and there is no safety in CO detectors unless you have the appliance checked regularly, CO detectors are a last ditch defence not an either/or replacement for maintainence.

CO detectors are a last ditch defence not an either/or replacement for maintainence.

Feel like ramming this down the throat of some people with ZERO ventilation on open flued appliances and/or positive pressure appliances...

"well I've got this alarm so I'm safe"........

I like the little spots that change colour, just before you die :rolleyes: as if they are going to wake anyone up. :eek:

I like the little spots that change colour, just before you die as if they are going to wake anyone up.

Ha ha, its even better when you go to service the boiler and a manky black one is stuck to it..... shows how much attention some people pay to them.....

I like the little spots that change colour, just before you die :rolleyes: as if they are going to wake anyone up. :eek:

Most battery operated ones are quite effective, a floor standing boiler I attended ( cue hilarious comment from do`f*uck all) had a small crack at top of heat exchanger, I covered vent up and detector went mental, luckily for them I never got the job. I still send flowers to their kids though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back