The two coat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

So far I have always used 2 coats when skimming.

This general rule seemed to let me down recently on a thin section of plasterboard/beading.

The builder did the arch to the left which hid the RSJ, and I did the area over/round the alcove housing the fridge. Two coats were fine inside the alcove and above the fridge etc, but on the RHS 'leg', where the width of this face is only about 8", two coats has now left it slightly proud of the beads and not perfectly smooth.

I plastered this 'leg' by firstly working a bit of plaster into the edge beads, and then following with an upward motion sliding along both the beads (using the long edge of the trowel like a bridge). After the first coat it seemed better than after I finished the second. On the second coat I only did the upward bit.

From this experience, in future, I'm thinking that if the width is less than a trowel length, you're ok and neater with just the 1 coat. Is this an ok rule, or is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
You seem to be misunderstanding the reason for 2 coats; you will NEVER need 2 coats on reveals or even small walls come to that. The only reason for 2 coats is to get it nice & flat; at the risk of starting the “2 or 1 coat” debate all over again, clever sods can do quiet large walls in one hit without showing too much light under the straight edge!

The only reasons the finished result would be proud would be either the first coat was put on too thick, it had the life sucked out of it or you left it too long for the second coat; all would produce the same result.

Sponsored Links
2 applications but in one coat is what i've always done and was always told otherwise you WILL end up proud of your beads, 1st application of a couple of mills then within 15mins or so go back over it all with a thinner application, after that your trowelling to fill holes and level off before polishing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back