The weekend's new hot water problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water comes out of the bath mixer tap/shower slowly - 20+ secs/litre compared to 8secs/litre from the hot tap in the basin. Both come from the same pipe from the hot water tank. I guess there is a branch somewhere under the floorboards to split the flow. The taps can be isolated from the pipes (which are the originals 35 years old) by newish stopcocks installed when the bath/basin etc were replaced by a professional.

I have removed, and successfully replaced, the hot tap and the valve that directs the flow to the tap/shower. Nothing appeared to be wrong.

Recently I replaced the shower hose from the mixer tap. There was a couple of days when no hose was attached. My wife tells me the slow flow of hot water started then. The cold water flows at normal rates through the tap and the shower so I don't see that the new hose is a problem. I haven't touched any of the copper pipework.

Do I have a stuck, half-open, non-return valve somewhere in the system?

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
It's possible that a valve is not fully open - gate valves can be a problem sometimes.

Worth checking that the new tap is designed for low pressure systems - a lot of newer 'continental' taps are designed for high pressure systems

Well the "new" taps were installed about 5 years ago. I dismantled the hot section of the mixer (a ROCA) , but cannot get at the stem out to access the inlet pipe. I'm considering taking the unit off the bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back