Thermal cracking on my new wall :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just noticed this on my new inner skin on my wall in a couple of different places. I assume it's thermal cracking, as the outside is just fine. On the inside it goes up 2 courses in one spot, and 3 courses in another.

Thermalite shields laid with mortar 1:6 sand to cement mix with plasticiser.

The wall is west facing and I can only assume it got baked on Friday with the hot weather causing these cracks. Once complete, this wall will be inside a garage and thus protected from direct sunshine most of the time, but while the build continues slowly it will be exposed.

I've ordered a big role of hessian stuff which I plan to drape over the wall to keep it in the shade from now on, but any other suggestions of what to do to protect?

Also what should I be doing about these sections? I could leave, repoint, or go to the extreme of taking down the offending sections and rebuilding, but I don't know if it's worth it?

Bit gutted this has happened really...

IMG_4776.jpg

Sponsored Links
I’ve seen much worse, thermalites are bad for it, not much you can do other than doing it in really small sections with expansion joints which no one does. Don’t worry about it, and don’t shoot the messenger but it’ll probably do it quite a lot more over time.

I've got a wall that is 4 1/2 blocks long, all the precautions done, sheltered internal not exposed and it cracked several years after being built. Worst blocks ever.

What's that 1/2 block doing in the middle of a wall? That wont be helping

@^woody^ the half block is because the end of the run is just off to the left and I’d started from the right, didn’t want the odd sized blocks on the corner so I brought them in one block.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back