Thermal Expansion on South facing wall causing cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 1960 house which has an inner leaf of calcium bricks.

On the back of the house and only on the first floor thermal expansion is causing cracks in the plaster work that are diagonal from the top corners of the windows.

The cracks appear only when the sun is shining, (the house is south facing) and appear in winter and summer though are not as wide in winter.

So even if it is 80 degrees outside, if its cloudy then the cracks dont appear, likewise if it is 0 degrees outside and the sun is shining they still open up.

The cracks in the end bedrooms are only on the inner part of the wall, i.e. not on the side of the window that is adjacent to the corner pillars of the house.

I am trying to get a definitive answer as to what is causing the cracks - roof, calcium bricks, lintel etc.

Would any one be able to advice on how to proceed in order to get a plan to rectify.

Also has anyone else had similar problems with this era of house.

I have had an engineer out to look at them and he advised that it was the whole back wall expanding and contracting - but the outside bricks dont crack only the inner layer and why dont the downstairs bricks crack?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps, if you posted some pics, internal and external, it would help your case.

There's a guy on here who seems to know a bit about cracking and structural movement, and maybe he'll be along to help you further.

Do you have any sketches or written detail from the SE?

Have your neighbours had similar difficulties.

Could you describe the house site situation - sloping ground, end terrace etc?

Sponsored Links

this is a picture taken when the sun was out and the crack had expanded slightly.

This was in winter so if you can imagine the cracks in the summer are much bigger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back