thermal store leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi... first time ive seen this fault but my thermal store has sprung a leak... no corrosion, no splits, nothing... its a 2001 model of the telford tornado 2, has the two pressure relief valves in the top with the pressure regulator, along with the expansion vessel (all enclosed )... the 'leak' is so that the entire top of the casing is full of water (submerging all the valves and exp. vessel (the cylinder being a foot or so shorter than the outer insulation and casing...the insulation is all thats keeping the water in!!!) my only thought can be the expansion vessel has failed but why leak water if its sealed?... i took the vessel off and recharged it and noticed the top of the vessell was virtually full of 'orrible brown rusty water, but the pressure didnt immediately fall off like a ruptured diaphram would suggest... my head is bleeding with all the scratching going on atm so any help would be appreciated :eek: :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Last one I went to same symptom same repair, replace the expansion vessel 12l if I remember correctly.

Sponsored Links
thanks, its a bit of a pete the plumber install... no tundish so i cant imediately work out which the overflow is etc... so much PTFE around the exp. vessel thread its all pushed off the thread and sitting at the top in a big heap :D I cant see any other signs of leaking from the p&t valves... just odd that the exp.vessel doesnt appear ruptured but water is pouring out of the valve when i press it... its an 18 litre vessel so for the cost of one ill try it... if not ive got a spare:p

I'm pretty certain in 2001 they were copper, I could be wrong memory's not what it was.

dont worry, they were copper up to 2004, and i learnt in days gone by down the old mans garage, not to over tighten nuts... especially when you have to spend hours drilling reaming and tapping for a new stud :D... one BSA goldstar with several metric threads :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back