Thermalite Turbo blocks u values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am building an extension which is in 2 parts, one section set at a slightly higher level than the other (one part is at current floor level, the other part is lower to help prevent light loss from next door) the wall between these 2 sections is mainly internal but has about 200mm projecting above the lower level flat roof.

Can I build this wall from Thermalite Turbo blocks 215mm deep? I ask as I think that the BCO will say that the projecting part will need to meet the required U value for an external wall (0.28 ) as it is 'outside'. From what I can see these blocks have a u rating of 0.11 so they should be fine but i'm no expert. If I cant use these then it will have to be a cavity wall and I'm trying to gain as much extra space internally even if it is only 4 inches in difference between a cavity wall and using Thermalite blocks.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
:) I've spoken to my BCO and found that I cant use them. Cavity wall from top to bottom inside it is (or installing a lintel on top of a block wall and then building a low cavity wall on top of this - seems like too much aggravation).

Thanks for reading though.

Sponsored Links
If you used the 215 block, had render on the exterior and applied some insulated plaserboard internally to achieve the requisite U-value, you could end up with a thinner wall.

Fair enough; looking it up, Kingspan says 52.5mm product thickness - probably not much in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back