Thermoplastic tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our entire ground floor is concrete with thermoplastic tiles.

We want the lounge to have laminated floor and other areas tiled with ceramic tiles.

The thermoplastic tiles are in very good shape.

I understand that it is possible to tile over thermoplastic tiles with the right adhesive? Is that right?

I'm assuming that there's no problem putting laminate over thermoplastic tiles?

I'm still tempted to remove the thermoplastic tiles if for no other reason than to increase the roof height. :)

Is it hard to get thermoplastics up? What's the best technique? What tool should I use?

What's the asbestos situation with these tiles? There seems to be conflicting advice online.

So, should I bother removing them and why?

Any other comment?

Thanks muchly in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are in good condition, the laminate can definatly float over the top with no issues.

The tiles really should be uplifted in the other areas to allow for a more secure screeding of the subfloor and fitting of the new tiles.

Generally, a long handled scraper makes light work of thermoplastics, best to have a few good quality sharp blades to help. Usually the tiles lift very easily using this method, in large pieces with no excessive dust etc.

If the tiles are in good condition, the laminate can definatly float over the top with no issues.

The tiles really should be uplifted in the other areas to allow for a more secure screeding of the subfloor and fitting of the new tiles.

Generally, a long handled scraper makes light work of thermoplastics, best to have a few good quality sharp blades to help. Usually the tiles lift very easily using this method, in large pieces with no excessive dust etc.

Thanks CD!

Thanks again. I bought a long handled scraper but in the end I used a Garden Hoe and they came up a treat. They came up easily and frequently intact. Will return the scraper for a refund! :)

I know other people have terrible trouble with them, but this was as close as I've ever got to a five minute job! Bagging the tiles up took a little longer though! ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back