Replacing Laminated flooring with hard wood in the Hall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of installing a new hardwood floor in the hallway, the laminated floor has been removed and underneath is the old thermoplastic tiles well stuck down. I have Laybond L16 wood bond and the flooring is solid oak from Travis Perkins, can I lay the floor over the fixed tiles, otherwise not only will I have to remove the tiles but all of the bitumin as well. I do not have enough room to lay a ply sub-floor as it would be to high going into the other rooms.
Help full comments would be appreciated.

Baz1922

Sponsored Links
Assuming the subfloor is Concrete, you need to lift the thermoplastic tiles, check the subfloor for moisture, assuming the moisture is within tolerance, you then need to screed the subfloor and directly glue the wood to the screed.

If there is residual moisture content too high to screed over, you need to paint a liquid DPM down and then screed, then glue the flooring to the subfloor.

If you are considering 'floating' the floor the same way the laminate is fitted, this is not recommended, although in theory you would not need to touch the thermoplastics etc, you will likely end up with a floor that regularly gaps etc depending on humidity and temperature etc.

I thought that would be the answer but I can guess how hard its going to be to clean off the old bitumin after taking the tiles up, would you recommend gluing the joints on the flooring as the instructions on the bonding glue does not mention it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back