Thermosat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been fitting showers for few months now with no problems at all.
Got a triton Ts80 today with thermostat gone, im assuming thermostat, put it on number 10 it was scolding, anything either side of dial freezing.
Tried every other configuration possible, it was deffo kapplunked...
what i want to know is, is there anyway of testing this fault?
apart from obvious testing temperature!
The customer looking at me as though it was my fault really pi##ed me off

Sponsored Links
It's the Topaz T80, I assume?

The one on the left, not the one on the right?

TopazT80si.jpg
T80si.jpg

No bas, its 80i, the one on the right, he is getting exact same model later, so i will sort it out for him.

Sponsored Links
Cheers ban, didnt know that, he got same shower today, just fitted it, its working perfect, so the other thing was just knackered...

And excuse my limited knowledge, but how does the unit guage the temperature of water without a thermostat??

Showers work by altering the flow of water over the element. You have two elements usually, one approx 3kw, one approx 6kw.

For cold, no elements on

For low, 3kw on

For medium, 6kw on

Fow high, both on (9kw).

On each heat setting, the actuall temp is adjusted by controling the flow of water over the element.

Maybe you had a blockage or a duff knob that controles the flow.

scoobydooby said:
And excuse my limited knowledge, but how does the unit guage the temperature of water without a thermostat??
It doesn't. The "temperature control" is actually a flow control, i.e. a tap. The faster the water flows, the less hot it gets. If you want it hotter, you have to lower the flow rate. And depending on your plumbing arrangements, when someone flushes the loo, or the washing machine hits a fill point in its cycle, the water gets hotter. "Crude" is a word that springs to mind.

Most do have an in extremis overtemperature cutout to prevent scalding, but water gets to the "Ouch! **** me that's hot!" temperature long before that works.

Some showers, e.g. the Triton Topaz, Redring Selectronic etc, do have proper thermostatic controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back