Thermostat has to be 20 +

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , Sorry if this post is not in the correct section but here goes ... My heating will only come on when the Thermostat goes past 20 on the control unit which is in our hallway , boiler is upstairs in bedroom , if we turn it down to say 15 or lower the heating goes off , how comes people tell me they can have theirs on at 15 and it works yet mine has to be over 20 before it clicks in to life ?

Sponsored Links

Either your room stat is faulty or the temperature in the
hall is higher than the temp you are trying to set to.

Put another thermometer close to the room stat for a few
hours to check against.

Thanks for reply , My hallway is generally a cold part of the house , So it looks like my Thermostat might be broke then , it has only been in around a couple of years , but I will try a thermometer and see for sure next time I have the heating on ....... If it is the " Stat " what am I looking at price wise to replace it and could I do it myself ?

If you are competent to do DIY electrical repairs (it runs at mains voltage) then you can change it yourself.

A simple replacement stat by a good maker like ACL Drayton or Honeywell might cost you about £12, or this one is on special offer http://www.screwfix.com/p/danfoss-rmt230-room-thermostat/22657

or you could get a programmable stat which enables you to set differrent temps for different times of day and different days of the week, which is a lot better but more expensive

for example http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-digistat-3-room-thermostat/75750

you could also get a wireless one but I am not so keen as it gives one more thing to go wrong.

it is preferable to mount the room stat in the part of the house that is slowest to warm up, and have TRVs in all the other rooms; or to have it in the room that is most often used, provided there are no other heat sources such as a fire, big cooker, or sunny window to confuse things.

Sponsored Links
Although its clicking at 20 to come on in reality it is really only prob 15 . Certain stats used to have an adjuster screw ,honeywell it was a case of pulling the dial off and putting it back on in right position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back