Thermostat not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Salus RT100 thermostat connected to a Potterton Prima F30. As of yesterday, the thermostat no longer controls the boiler. It still 'clicks', but the boiler doesn't turn on. We still have hot water, and find that when the hot water is on and the boiler 'burns', we also get the heaters warming up normally. But as soon as we turn the hot water off on the controller, the boiler shuts down.

Any idea where the problem might be?

Compared to previously, the boiler will now heat up for some time before turning itself off shortly, and starting up again. Is there a risk of damaging the system? Or are we just wasting gas because the boiler can no longer tell when the required temperature has been reached?

Thanks!

EDIT: Now I'm not sure anymore. The hot water turned off (timer), the central heating program was still on, and the boiler kept going (unlike yesterday when the boiler would shut down if the hot water wasn't on). It just stopped, and started up again just as it would normally... *confused*

Sponsored Links
The top one. Though it there is an inverted Y-shaped pipe on top (and one of the branches feeds into the pump).

Sponsored Links
The top looks a bit like this:

[code:1]
| |
// \\
|P| ||
[/code:1]

Where P is the pump shown on top (one entry, one exit). The pipe on the right continues down. This is located in the cupboard where the hot water tank lives (there's a lot more tubing in there than I can handle with a text-based diagram ^_^).

Just got home, to pleasantly find the CH on. I'll try the thermostat later tonight... (too cold to do it now!)

Pictures as requested (which are really worth a 1000 ASCII diagrams):

Thanks!

OK, the pipe going up is the vent, possibly combined with the feed.

The problem maybe with the three port valve. That particular brand is not very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back