Boiler not working..any ideas welcome??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a potterton suprima 30L boiler that stopped working yesterday. The red reset light flashes but i cannot reset it. If i turn the whole system off and wait an hour or so i can reset but it only runs for ten mins or so. I am fairly certain that the pump is working and i have also discovered that if i turn hot water on controller to off then the boiler shuts down. I managed to get it running by turning up water thermostat to 80degrees but then that shuts down. I'm only guessing but it appears the boiler will work for hot water but not for central heating?? any ideas? ps have bled all rads etc and dont think it is an airlock.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if it may be overheating as a result of a lack of flow!

Is it an open vented system or a pressurised one with a pressure of about 1.5 Bar ???

The PCBs are notoriously unreliable, search this site for examples, but so far I think yours is something else.

Tony

hi tony. its an open vented system with two flues going up and out through the loft. nothing has altered and iv had no repair work etc done so nothing externally has taken place that should affect it working...it just stopped. it keeps coming on intermittently now for brief periods but i think that is to heat the hot water tank.

Boiler won't work for HW and not CH as it doesn't know what it is being turned on for.

I would check the pump is working first of all. The boiler controls this.

Otherwise I would look for a fault in the controls/zone valve/s.

See FAQs on how to check a pump.

Sponsored Links
Cheers gas4you(Dave),
I know strictly speaking i shouldn't post twice for same question but to be fair you don't know my mrs!! posting twice was sheer desperation to show her i was trying!! will check pump but i think i need to face facts and prepare to be shafted and call in an expert. thanks though.

Just because you call an expert is no gaurentee you'll be shafted, just a possibillity. Ring around some friends and get a recommendation and you'll just get an expert

why does calling in an expert mean you are going to get shafted !

If you call in an expert you will not get shafted. The problem is in all those glossy adverts how do you spot an expert!

Speaking from a personal viewpoint, an expert doesn't need to advertise in those glossy pages. He will always be too busy through recommendations:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back