Thermostat Wiring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am hoping someone could help, I have a combi-boiler and looking to replace my RS1 thermostat with a Honeywell T4.

The current RS1 thermostat has 4 wires:
Neutral - Blue
Live - Yellow
3 / Call - Red
Earth - Yellow/Green

thermo1.jpg
thermo2.jpg

The new Honeywell thermostat is battery powered and only requires 2 wires A and B. Could someone explain which wire goes where, and what to do with the spare 2 wires?
thermo3.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help !

Sponsored Links
You don't need the blue neutral wire. Insulate & isolate it safely out of the way. Do not connect it to the T4

You don't need the green/yellow earth wire as the T4 is double insulated. Insulate & isolate it safely out of the way. Do not connect it to the T4

The yellow wire then goes to T4 A

The red wire to T4 B

It's unusual for the original installer to use the yellow for the permanent live and the red for the 'call' live, but in practice it doesn't matter. When the T4 switches 'on' terminals A & B are just connected to a switch that joins them together, so if they are transposed it doesn't effect operation.

Following your instructions, new thermostat is in place and the heating is working correctly.
Thanks a lot for your help Stem !

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the update, it helps anyone who comes along later and finds this thread when searching for help with a project of their own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back