Replacing an RS1 Thermostat with new digital

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Just hoping for some advice.

I have an old british gas RS1 thermostat which has a 3core and earth cable. One wire goes to Neutral, one to Live, one to "CALL" and one to earth.

The new thermostat im proposing is a modern digital touch screen type but looking at the specs they all come just with 2no connections..L (live line) & N (Null line)

Ive attached photos showing my RS1 and proposed thermostat (just an amazon screenshot)

Could anyone give any advice on what to do with my existing 3 core and live cable into the new thermostat please?

Thanks

Matt

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 10.34.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 10.34.27.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 702
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 10.34.28 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 10.34.28 (1).jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 742
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 10.34.28 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 10.34.28 (2).jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 741
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 10.34.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-11-02 at 10.34.28.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 933
Sponsored Links
Your original thermostat has three connections. Live in (L), Switched Live out (Call 3) and a Neutral in (N)

The new thermostat is designed for electric underfloor heating as it shows a restive load connected and marked "underfloor heating pad" and also has a connection for an underfloor sensor (which you may be able to select out in the settings) but the bottom line is that it may not be suitable for your application. I would check carefully first before buying it.

If it is suitable, as far as wiring goes it appears from your photo, that the new thermostat has a Live and Neutral AC in, and a Live and Neutral out. So it would be connected to the existing Live and Neutral wires going to your present thermostat and the wire presently going to terminal 3 would be the Live shown going to the "underfloor heating pad" You don't have a neutral out wire presently so your existing heating picks it up elsewhere, so it's not required at the thermostat.

I thought this sounded familiar.

Sponsored Links
Your original thermostat has three connections. Live in (L), Switched Live out (Call 3) and a Neutral (N)

The Live wire would go to the 'COM'
The switched Live wire (Call) in terminal 3 would go to 'NO'

That is it. You don't need the Neutral, so insulate it and tuck it out of the way, and there is no connection to be made to 'NC'

As your old thermostat only controls the room temperature and the new thermostat is programmable in that it will control time and temperature. Your existing timeswiitch would need to be set to be permanently 'on' otherwise it would override the new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back