RS1 Room Thermostat - keeps blowing boiler fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just replaced the room thermostat on my oil fired boiler, with an RS1. It has 2 live wire connections and an earth, I had to get this type as I have a standard 3 core flex to the stat. I believe I have wired it correctly, however it has blown the 13amp fuse in the main boiler supply twice and tripped the RCD fuse for the sockets. Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Don't put anymore 13a fuses in the boiler spur!
It must be 5 amps MAX.

How did the old roomstat come off.
More than likely that green/yellow is not as it seems :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for the reply, taken a photo, which I have uploaded into an album, but not sure what to do with it so you can see it. I have only taken 1 of the room stat, as I did not touch the junction box. There are 3 terminals, I have put the brown live to the far right, viewed from the front, blue to the middle and earth to the left terminal. Is that any help? I feel such a plonker!

Sponsored Links
Dear London Boy, I think you are right, the green/yellow is not as it seems, it is old wiring, certainly 10 years old, the boiler was replaced 4 years ago, but none of the ancillary electrics, stat, etc. Any help would be gratefully received.

to post a picture, click where it says "show my images" under the reply window.. then just click the picture you want to put in the post..

and you need to take the earth wire out of the terminal.. it's a change over by the looks.. doesn't require an earth.. you're just shorting it out..

That stat is definitely a changeover switch, no earth required.
It's also a very cheap and nasty effort.

How is the other end of the cable connected - or, what make/model was the old thermostat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back